FORUMS: list search recent posts

BLU RAY - FCP - ENCORE best option? Freezes Often!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Weinstein
BLU RAY - FCP - ENCORE best option? Freezes Often!
on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:07:35 pm

Hi, I need to create a blu-ray I have exported from FCP to compressor. My files are H264 and AC3. I need to have menus so I can't burn in FCP or toast. So I am trying to use ENCORE. I have never used it before. The problem with Encore is that it freezes upon importing the H264 asset. The file is 9.66GB and I have 4GB ram. I am using a MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions on what to do about Encore or even another program that I can use on Mac to burn blu ray and create menus!?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: BLU RAY - FCP - ENCORE best option? Freezes Often!
on Feb 25, 2011 at 6:42:13 am

hi laura,
if you are importing H264 into encore it will take a bit of time to do so, as it´s creating some metadata while importing.

so go and have a coffee or a draft, or whatever - and after a while (could be a longer while) you can work with encore again.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:15:13 am

hey thanks for responding.... it since has loaded. I did exactly that left and came back later.

I have a new question though which I have been trying to find an answer to for like 10 hrs....

QUESTION:
The still I import for the menu is 1920 x 1080 a really nice crisp image. Upon importing it appears 4 times too big. It seems as though the menu box is set for 720 x 480 instead of the above settings? I don't understand why since my project settings are 1920 x 1080. Nonetheless, I reduced the image instead by dragging one end, yet the image looses it's crispness.

Sorry for the long winded question. I'm just so frustrated about this and can't find any documentation on what to do. So to summarize why would a 1920 x 1080 image imported into a project with those same setting come in 4 times the size of the menu canvas? Something doesn't add up!

Let me know what you think!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:03:47 pm

You probably created a "Blank" menu for this image? If so, your Blank menu is likely 720x480, causing the problem you are experiencing.

You should save your 1920x1080 image as a PSD file, then import as a menu instead of an asset. You can also create the button highlights in the PSD as well before or after importing. The Encore help file explains how to do this.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:09:02 pm

Wow that worked perfectly! Thank-you so much. What worked was importing it as a menu rather then an asset. Between trying to even buy a blu-ray for mac (took 2 weeks to find!) and getting encore to cooperate have been super frustrating.

What's your opinion on Encore seeing as you know it well? Is it actually decent?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Feb 26, 2011 at 7:15:07 pm

Despite Encore having many bugs and shortcomings, it is in my opinion the best authoring application for consumer use. For professional use (studio releases), only a much more expensive spec level authoring application should be used, such as Scenarist or even DoStudio.

For DVD's (not Blu-ray), sometimes scripting is required, which Encore cannot do, however DVD Studio Pro can. For most projects, scripting is not required and Encore is the better choice.

If you are authoring non-commercial Blu-ray discs, Encore is the only real option.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 27, 2011 at 4:14:10 pm

jon,
there is a new application that could produce easily BDs called EasyBD from dvd logic. it´s a simple spec-level-bd-auhtoring-tool.

http://www.dvd-logic.com/easybd/

if you need to create more professional BDs you can buy IGEditor and you can access real professional level of authoring at a valueable price.

please have a try.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Feb 27, 2011 at 6:48:48 pm

Thanks Danny.

I am well aware of EasyBD, and unfortunately it is completely useless to me without the IGEditor, which is a separate $500 program.

On top of this, IGEditor is far less intuitive than Encore when it comes to menu creation, and requires coding and keeping track of GPR's, Movie Objects, Playlists, etc. across the two different programs.

I think the ideal piece of software would be a program just like Encore, with access to the navigation commands that will be programmed to the disc, and the ability to rearrange the streams. I understand Encore is an abstraction layer program, and it auto-generates all the code behind the scenes... but if it only gave advanced users the ability to modify those commands (to fix bugs, create more complex navigation, etc.), it would be perfect.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 27, 2011 at 7:13:34 pm

hey john,
I agree with you - encore could be a powerful tool, if adobe would delete all it´s limitations (and bugs).

I would be happy if there would be a full-working professional BD-authoring-app for mac, like larry wants to programm, but as we all know - it´s a bunch of work and that takes time.

so by the way easyBD is a good possibility to create simple BDs and there will be improovements on it that you´ll like - I know.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]