FORUMS: list search recent posts

people can't watch my dvds

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Monteiro
people can't watch my dvds
on Feb 24, 2011 at 3:09:28 am

Thank you for your time

I'm a freelance videographer. I usually do event cover and often need to make several copies of my dvds.
Here is the issue that i can't find ways to fix.Every now and then people return my dvds saying they can't play them on their home dvd player. I test them at home before handle them and they all work. I've searched about it and see that a lot of people run into the same issue.
I'd like to ask here what is the most compatible way to produce a dvd in encore?
My workflow is:
I edit my videos on premiere and encode them with AME on mpeg2 dvd 6kbps constant bit rate. Then build them in encore cs3.
This time i'm desperate as i made 20 copies and all of them didn't work!
How can anyone work professionally with these softwares with such a huge problem? Or what do you people do to handle that?
It's driving me nuts i'm even considering in giving up this job because i'm tired to say sorry all the time and look like an amateur!!!

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: people can't watch my dvds
on Feb 24, 2011 at 1:48:59 pm

More info. would be helpful, but I can tell you a few things to look for. Have you tried variious players and computers to playback your DVD? What exactly do they say it does - usually there is a message like "This disc not recognized". Have they tried it in a computer? Not that they want to but you need to find out as much about the disc as possible.

As far as ""How can anyone work professionally with these softwares with such a huge problem? Or what do you people do to handle that?""
Well, I generally don't have any problems and when I do, I usually first blame myself, although software bugs do happen, and this is not a full spec authoring software but it does everything I need and use. I AM on CS4, WinXP Pro SP3, 3GB RAM, 3Ghz processors, Nvidia card etc.

I use only DVD-R, only burn at x4, never exceed 8mbps, usually aiming for 6.5 or 7mbps. I export QT Ref. files with WAV audio and let Encore do all my video transcoding and in every timeline I replace the .mov audio track with the .wav audio and tell Encore not to transcode the audio as it is DVD spec. I only use Dolby AC3 when I need to keep bitrate up on longer videos. It may not be an issue now, but years ago the audio volume was erratic on some computers when using AC3 - .wav solved that for me. I'm not sure what else to offer.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:52:42 pm

More than likely this has nothing to do with the software. These kind of problems are almost always the result of burning the disc too fast, using poor quality media, or using a poor quality burner.

Only Verbatim or JVC/Taiyo Yuden media should be used.

Sometimes you can tell if your burner is weak by looking at the surface of the burned media. A weak burner will produce uneven coloration across the burned area. For example, the inner area might look slightly darker than the outer area. We had a Plextor drive that exhibited this problem, and replaced it with a much better Pioneer drive.

Never burn at the maximum speed of your burner/media. If the drive and disc support up to 8x, then you shouldn't go above 4x or 6x. There is an exception though... some Verbatim Dual Layer media supports 2.4x speed, which should be burned at 2.4x.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:30:46 pm

another important issue:

if you don´t burn your DVD as UDF-format it wont match the DVD-specs and wont be played within all DVD-players.

how did you burn all thouse medias? from encore? from any other software?

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Andre Monteiro
on Feb 26, 2011 at 8:06:56 am

Thank you for all your help, really appreciated.
I didn't notice anything strange on the surface of the dvd. But i think it might be a good idea to replace the burner
this is the first time i heard about the udf format, isn't it the default option? i tried to look for a menu and didn't find.
My original footage was dvcprohd 720p, encoded in premiere cs3
as 6kbps cbr. Then built direct to disk in encore cs3 with no menus.
My system specs:
windows vista bus 64
dual quadcore xeon 3200ghz
nvidia quadrofx 4600
16gb ram
hope that helps and thanks a lot guys.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 26, 2011 at 10:38:31 am

hi again,
if you burned your DVD/BD from within encore you´ll get an UDF-volume, that should play in all players.

if not - you might think about a different disk-medias. I would recommend verbatim or tayo yuden - that´s the best medias I´ve ever worked with.

have you tested your DVD in computer-drives?

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Andre Monteiro
on Feb 26, 2011 at 7:52:32 am

Thank you for all your help, really appreciated.
I didn't notice anything strange on the surface of the dvd but i think it might be a good idea to replace the burner.
I'll try to burn them again slower and see.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]