FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subtitles in Different Aspect Ratios

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Weiner
Subtitles in Different Aspect Ratios
on Feb 10, 2011 at 4:48:32 pm

Hello all. I've been dealing with this issue (see below) in DVD Studio Pro, and so I was wondering if maybe Encore would provide a different solution. The post can be found at: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/155/880073. I have Encore CS5.

In DVD SP, I make a 16x9 SD DVD with subtitles. The subtitles are positioned perfectly for the video. Then someone watches the DVD on a 4x3 monitor where the 16x9 video letterboxes so it fits in the 4x3 space, but the subtitles still display in the 16x9 locations, they also didn't readjust. I was told that in order to make everything appear correctly, I'd need to use a program like Scenarist or DVD After Edit (if I wanted to use it in conjunction with DVD SP).

Is it possible to set subtitles to automatically adjust to a 4x3 or 16x9 space based on the TV presentation, in Encore?

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Subtitles in Different Aspect Ratios
on Feb 10, 2011 at 5:55:21 pm

hi mike,
this is not a specific problem with DVD SP or any other authoring-tool - this is a BUG in the DVD spec according to presentation of your subtitles. did I say bug!? yes - you´ve heard correct, this is a bug!

if you would have it correct working you need to put a 16:9letterboxed and a 4:3 letterboxed version of your film on your DVD with the subtitles in the correct area.

and you need to read out the SPRM of your player, what setup is present in the system-parameters, and depending on this to jump to the different tracks.

now it´s up to you!

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Mike Weiner
on Feb 10, 2011 at 6:40:02 pm

ok and what happens when i send my dvd out for mass replication? I mean I know some programs will allow me to set presentation modes...

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 10, 2011 at 6:44:51 pm

well, if you choose to put both versions on the disk, you wont have any problem, if you just want to use 16:9letterboxed you could get in trouble.

but:
a lot people don´t even know how to have the right FLAT-SCREEN-setting for DVD-players.

I´ve seen so many wrong settings out there - horrible.

good luck

danny

Return to posts index

Mike Weiner
on Feb 10, 2011 at 6:46:08 pm

i will agree to that, i fixed it for a client a few weeks ago.

thanks,
mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]