FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore - Chapter 1 ignores end action

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Mason
Encore - Chapter 1 ignores end action
on Jan 30, 2011 at 10:35:33 am

Greeting to you from the South West of England. I am a self taught amateur video maker with access to the CS4 suite. I have a problem with my latest project when using Encore and hope that one you experts out there might be able to suggest a solution.

My project couldn’t be much simpler. I have two timelines and one menu. The first timeline is the introductory ‘first play’ with my logo which then leads to the menu. The second timeline is my main project and is split into four chapters; Chapter 1 located at the very start and the others spread out within it. The menu has five buttons on it with one being designated a ‘normal’ button which is intended to ‘play all’ and the others allocated as ‘Chapter’ buttons with one per chapter.

My aim is for each chapter to be viewed independently and then return to the menu. The other option is for the whole timeline to be viewed in one go, again returning to the menu at the end. Surely, not too much to ask for!

What actually happens is that despite my best encouragement to do otherwise the first chapter resolutely refuses to return to the menu at the end and carries on into Chapter 2 and then goes to the menu. Play all and Chapters 2, 3 and 4 all behave themselves.

There might be a clue on the flowchart. Chapters 2,3 and 4 all have double headed arrows on their links back to the menu whereas that for Chapter 1 is only single although the Properties panel states that it has an end point back at the menu. I have tried all sort of things to produce a double arrow but to no avail.

The Check Project process informs me that there is no End Action set for the menu which if I understand the manual correctly doesn’t matter, I am also warned that the End Action for the main timeline “will not execute because of end action on final chapter point” (which like all of the other chapters returns to the menu). If I remove the main timeline’s End Action, all the end actions on the Chapter buttons also disappear and I get a warning to that effect in the project check. Interestingly, Chapters 2,3 and 4 all retain their double arrows and still appear to function correctly by returning to the menu.

The manual for Encore is pretty useless as far as troubleshooting is concerned. Can anyone help?

Trevor

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Encore - Chapter 1 ignores end action
on Jan 30, 2011 at 7:47:57 pm

First, get rid of all the chapter end actions or any overrides that you might have. You don't want to use those.

Your play all button should link to the timeline normally, and the timeline's end action should go back to the main menu. Your Play All button is now complete.

As for the Chapter buttons, you want to create a "Chapter Playlist" for each button. So, for Chapter one, create a Chapter Playlist (not a regular playlist), and drag the first chapter of that timeline into it. Set an end action of the chapter Playlist to return to the main menu.

Repeat that for all the other chapters, creating a chapter playlist for each. Link the chapter buttons on the menu to it's corresponding chapter playlist instead of the actual timeline itself.

Was this helpful? If you are creating a Blu-ray, chapter playlists will not work.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Trevor Mason
on Jan 31, 2011 at 11:44:48 am

Jon,

It worked like a dream. I was beginning to give up hope. There is so much confusion in some of th eforum discussions I have dipped into.

Many thanks for your input.

Trevor

Trevor

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jan 31, 2011 at 3:30:16 pm

Great! Now others can learn from this as well.

Don't worry, it's very common for beginner Encore users to get carried away with using chapter end actions and overrides to achieve simple navigation configurations, when in fact they should rarely ever be used and only by advanced users who know exactly what they do for complex configurations.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]