FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray Menu Choppy

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Katcher
Blu-Ray Menu Choppy
on Jan 13, 2011 at 3:32:17 pm

I am creating a Blu-Ray with motion menus. I just burned a test copy and played in my blu-ray player, and found that while the tracks themselves play perfectly, the motion menus are choppy. They look to be playing around 15-20 fps. I exported the two exactly the same using compressor (1920x1080 23.976, 25mb average, 30mb max). The navigation of the motion menus works fine and seems quick, it's just the video.
Any ideas are much appreciated. I am using CS5
Thanks,
Brandon Katcher

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Blu-Ray Menu Choppy
on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:12:06 pm

hi brandon,
it´s no good idea to use transcoded material for menus within encore, here is the reason why:

even if you are using transcoded material encore will transcode it AGAIN.

so better use your original quicktime-mov for the background and let encore do the transcoding.

encore is a big, big mess - nothing else, but it got better with CS5.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Brandon Katcher
on Jan 14, 2011 at 5:52:08 pm

Danny,
Thank you for the tip, I didn't know that Encore re-encoded menus again. Unfortunately, I built a new disc with quicktime Prores files as the motion menus, and it is still having the problem. The tracks themselves are fine, it's just the menus that are having the problem. Any other ideas? Could it be an incompatibility with the frame rate? (23.967)
Thanks for the help,
Brandon

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 14, 2011 at 6:24:16 pm

brandon,
what transcoding-settings (within the project-settings) did you use for encoding? h264 or MPEG2, and which bitrate did you set your transcoding-settings within encore?

did you use pro res 1920x1080 for your menus? have you looked at your menue on a HD-reference-monitor? are they OK?

encore CS4/5 can handle 1080p23.98, CS5 can handle 24p as well, so you might be able to select, but your video-framerate needs to fit to your encore-transcoding-settings.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Brandon Katcher
on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:02:45 pm

Thank you for the help. I am using H264 with a Max Bitrate of 30Mbps, 1920x1080 23.976.

The menus are simple. The main menu is simply a motion menu with 3 buttons.

Does the Quality Presets Change anything? I tried "transcoding now" the video files used in the menus before burning using H264 1920x1080 on this last run, but it did not change anything

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:22:15 pm

oh,
maybe I´ve got a clue.....

if you look at your project-tab, you can change the transcoding-settings on your menus/mov, please look at the column blu-ray-trascode status on your menu-background-mov.

there should be "untranscoded"

if you´re doing a ctrl-click on it, you can select the encoding-settings and change the whole setting.

please try to change it to h264 and 25-28Mbit, so you should have a nice result.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Brandon Katcher
on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:02:06 am

So I have tried different transcoding settings on test menus, including H264, Mpeg2, and it doesn't seem to change a thing. After doing some checking, it seems that no matter what, Encore will encode the menus into Mpeg2, and every time, it screws up the framerate. I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 15, 2011 at 10:12:40 pm

hi brandon,
could you please tell me which frame-rate o you use for you menu-video?

23.98 or 24p, or maybe 25i, or what else?

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Brandon Katcher
on Jan 15, 2011 at 11:19:03 pm

The menus are in 23.98.

I also tried the solution listed on the bottom of this page, but haven't gotten it to work either.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=158045&highlight=encore

This seems to be a problem with CS5 on a Mac, and there doesn't seem to be any workarounds.

Thanks,
Brandon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]