FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore wont open - QTCF.dll not found

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Birks
Encore wont open - QTCF.dll not found
on Jan 13, 2011 at 12:19:48 pm

Hi all,

Having just recently signed up to this forum I have already found everyone extremely helpful! Thank you :)

A new issue has reared its head for me - Adobe Encore CS3 has suddenyl decided it doesn't want to open, as apparently the file QTCF.dll cannot be found.

A bit of digging online implies that the QTCF.dll file is a Quicktime file, and there is precedent for people copying the file from Quicktime to the After Effects root directory to try and resolve the problem for AE - do people think the same fix may work for Encore? I don't want to do something that might cause more problems!

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, your support would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Rob

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Encore wont open - QTCF.dll not found
on Jan 13, 2011 at 1:27:48 pm

Can you open Quicktime Player normally? If not, you may have file permission issues. Did this problem appear after an update of Quicktime or iTunes?

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Rob Birks
on Jan 13, 2011 at 2:59:45 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the quick response!

To answer your questions:

I'm working in a school in a classroom of about 20 machines that all run on the school's main server (which is for many many more machines!) - this gives me lots of fun with Adobe software every time there are server updates!

Quicktime has not been updated at all (the current version we are running is Quicktime 7.64). Quicktime does open and play video files okay.

Any ideas for resolving the QTCF.dll issue with Encore? From the lack of results it brought up on the search engines, it doesn't appear to be a common problem.

Many thanks,

Rob

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 13, 2011 at 3:57:14 pm

Are you unable to open Encore on all of the machines? Or is the problem limited to one or a few?

If the latter, then try creating a new, temporary user account and running Encore from there. Does it work?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Rob Birks
on Jan 13, 2011 at 4:26:00 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for the swift reply.

I'm afraid Encore will not open on any of the machines.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:03:57 pm

Caveat: I don't work in a networked environment.

Adobe video apps generally don't work perfectly in a networked environment. That said, there have been some success stories. Maybe yours will turn out to be one of them.

I've thought about it some more, and if it's not a huge pain, do try the new user account. There may be an overarching issue with existing accounts that won't affect a new one. At least one variable would be eliminated.

Do you have any of the other Adobe video apps installed (Pr, AE)? If so, do they open OK on the machines? If so again, go to Premiere's Preferences and clean the media cache. En and Pr and AE share the same media cache database and files where possible.

Can you have your IT guys reinstall Quicktime?

I don't think you can hurt anything by putting a copy of QTCF.dll into Encore's root folder. If your IT dept. is uncomfortable with that, you may be able to simulate the move by creating an empty text file in the root folder and changing its name to QTCF.dll.

After that, I'm out of ideas.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Rob Birks
on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:54:22 pm

Hi Jeff,

You are a star!

Thank you for your extremely comprehensive reply. I will hopefully be able to try all of the above tomorrow (with the possible exception of adding a new user, as that's a bit complicated).

We have all of CS3 installed on our machines, and today I was using Premiere Pro and Photoshop without any difficulty (though that's probably because I've already ironed out their little idiosyncrasies!).

For the benefit of other users who may experience similar problems in the future, I will post my results on this thread first chance I get.

Fingers crossed and thanks again for your fantastic advice!

Rob

Return to posts index

Rob Birks
on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:26:29 am

Hi all,

Just so people have it on record - copying the file QTCF.dll from the Quicktime root directory to the Encode root directory did the trick.

Encore now opens fine, and I can burn my students' films.

Many thanks for your help.

Rob

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 28, 2011 at 1:11:34 pm

You're welcome. I'm glad the solution was relatively painless.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

rahat mitul
on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:51:25 pm

@rob and @jeff.. your discussion really helped me to solve my problem.. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]