FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 hours DVD: Double Layer an option for replication?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Crosta
3 hours DVD: Double Layer an option for replication?
on Jan 12, 2011 at 7:26:07 pm

Hi everybody,
my Client is interested in replicating 1000 copies of a DVD which should contain 3 hours of video.
If I burn all the timelines onto a single DVD the datarate goes to 2,1Mbps, which is really awful.
I read about the issues of authoring a DL disc.
In your experience would it be a real option for this?
Is it safe to burn a DL and replicate it?

Many thanks,
Michele

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: 3 hours DVD: Double Layer an option for replication?
on Jan 13, 2011 at 3:13:56 am

hi michele,
yes - to author a DL-DVD is an option, if you would like to create a DVD with approx 3h video on the disk.

if you´re using AC-3 audio@192kbit/s this would lead your target-data-rate to 5.8Mbit/s. this is quite good if you are using a VBR encoding.

to send a video-DVD burned on a DVD-DL to replication is no good idea at all. you could get some serious issues by doing this!

please look at my post over here: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/145/869067

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Michele Crosta
on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:48:07 am

hi danny,
I tried to make a single disc but as I start adding the video files to the project (there are 12 video files and 2 menus for a total of 15 buttons) the available space runs soon to zero and I have to drastically lower the datarate. I tried several times with different decreasing datarates and the only one which allows me to put everything on the disc is a 2-pass VBR, Avg 2,1 Mbps, Max 5,3 Mbps, with audio AAC@192.
I also tried with a datarate calculator and the result is similar to what you mention (5,8), so I cannot understand the trick!
What could the problem be: the 12 timelines (would one be better?) or the 15 buttons ? There is something which erodes disc space (apart from the video files) and I cannot locate it...
Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,
Michele

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:31:57 pm

hi again,
first of all - AAC audio is not allowed for DVD. according to the DVD-specs you can use PCM audio (wav/aif) or dolby digital-audio AC-3 or finally MPEG audio and DTS audio.

as AAC is not allowed, encore will transcode your audio to PCM-audio or dobly digital audio, depending on your transcoding-settings within your project-settings.

you should use dolby AC3, 192kbit/s for your stereo-file.

have you transcode your files using adobe media encoder prior authoring or did you import the AVI/MOV-files into encore?

if this is your workflow - encore will use it´s encoding-settings for transcoding to MPEG2 and the selected audio!

if you used PCM-audio as transcoding-setting, that will lead result in to much data, as PCM audio have 1.500kbit/s data-rate.

so please use media encoder for audio-and video-transcding.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Michele Crosta
on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:38:19 pm

Hi,
sorry! I wrote AAC but I meant AC3. I didn't use media encoder for the encoding but Compressor.
As you suggest I'll try two options: import the original files into encore and have it transcode them, and, second, transcode everything with media encoder.
Thanks

Cheers,
Michele

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:06:32 pm

michele,
if you allready transcoded your video and audio with compressor that will be ok...

I´ve figured out (with a BD-production) that encore seem to have a bug calculateing the disc-capacity.

haven´t tested this again - wanted to do this a few times...

I´ll do this in the next days - I have enough material for SL and DL-tests, as I created a lot DVDs using DVD Studio.

but here is a question for you - if you are using compressor for transcoding I´m sure that you´ll have DVD Studio as well, why not using it?

it´s a lot better than encore for DVD-authoring.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Michele Crosta
on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:51:07 am

that's a good question.
I used a lot DVD studio Pro, but my I started offering my Clients for their projects, in addition to DVDs, also BD and Flash, so it's easier for me to use a single Encore project and obtain 3 different products in one click. That's why.
You mention a possible bug, maybe it's true. When I add the first 2 3-minute videos and the 2 complete menus (15 buttons), the disc capacity is already up to round 2GB (which is unrealistic). So, when I start adding the long videos, the disc gets full in a wink and I have to reduce drastically the datarate (down to 2,1Mbps).
Maybe I'll give a try with DVD Studio Pro too.
Thanks

Cheers,
Michele

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:54:21 pm

hi again,
I tested one simple DVD-project that I allready authored with DVD SP, and the result is OK - no miss-calculation at the moment.

my test-DVD ended OK - DVD-calculation OK, and also a BD-project that I tried to reset to DVD (incl. transcoding).

maybe you need to create a new project-file, perhaps it is corrupted.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Monique Van Deursen
How to burn 3 hours footage on a SL dvd
on Dec 7, 2012 at 6:05:59 pm

Hi, i have the same problem. I have a client who wants to have 3 hour footage on one dvd. Several menus and buttons. Tekst and audio also. It is a work out video.
I always burn 1 hour 10 minutes on 1 dvd. Just to make sure it will play well. But this ia a very intersting project for my business, so i want to be able to burn 3 hours on 1 disc, but how?
Thank you in advance
Monique

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]