FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL Blu-Ray settings

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Hennegrave
PAL Blu-Ray settings
on Dec 4, 2010 at 12:42:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 4k short rendered out as 4k Quicktime uncompressed 25fps and need to make the best possible Blu-Ray quality. Could anybody tell me what settings I need to transcode to in Encore DVD CS5 please? The Blu-Rays will be played both in PAL and NTSC regions... Thanks in advance for your answers.

Best regards,

Charles

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: PAL Blu-Ray settings
on Dec 4, 2010 at 6:41:59 pm

hi charls,
if your blu-ray need to play in PAL and NTSC-land, the best way is to go 1080p24 or 1080p23.98.

you need to conform your 25fps-material, because 25/50 frames wont be played in most US-BD-players.

I have created a workflow using apples cinema tools, but you can do it as well with adobe AE:

http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com/1080i50-2398p-workflow

I would encode the BD in H264 and would take a Bitrate arround 25MBit target-rate and max. bitrate arround 30MBit.

never had any problems with this settings.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Charles Hennegrave
on Dec 5, 2010 at 11:15:17 am

Thank you Danny for this precision... however, it is all getting very confusing... My source footage is 4k QT uncompressed, progressive @ 25fps Dolby Surround 5.1.

I thought blu-ray was progressive anyway weither it is PAL or NTSC(is it not?). So if I convert my source to 23.976 fps progressive, won't I get a slight shift image/sound?

I am working on a Windows 7x64 based workstation with the Adobe Master collection CS5.

To make it even easier I have the same source to output to DVD both PAL and NTSC. Would the same principle apply?

Sorry again to bother you and thanks in advance for your answer.

Best,

Charles

Charles Hennegrave
Vice-President of JC Dream none profit association
London

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 5, 2010 at 11:35:24 am

hi charles,
blu-ray-spec is 1080i50, 1080i60, 1080p23.98, 1080p24, but 25/50frames wont work in most US-players as I mentioned before.

so you need to do a frame-rate-conversion. I would go to 24p as it is a common workflow.

there are 2 possibilties:

1. converting from 25 to 24fps with the same duration/running time
2. conforming from 25 to 24fps while the film will get 4% slower and longer

you can use AfterEffects to do both ways, but keep in mind that you need to slow down your audio as well if you´ll conform from 25 to 24p.

one good thing is, that you´ve got progressive 4K, so you won´t need to deinterlace the material anyway.

as AE have a good scaling-algorithm you can use it to downscale your 4K to 1080 as well. another possibility is to use MPEG Streamclip (freeware) to do so - just google for it - it´s the swiss knife in every editors toolbox.

good luck for your project.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Charles Hennegrave
on Dec 5, 2010 at 11:59:36 am

Thanks Danny, you're a star!I believe you're in the States... what a pity! I think I would definitely benefit from working with experienced people... I love my job as a VFX artist but as always, experience is the key to success!

Thanks again for all your tips and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Charles

Charles Hennegrave
Vice-President of JC Dream none profit association
London

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 5, 2010 at 1:34:30 pm

hey charles,
I´m not in the US, I´m in based in good old germany.

good luck

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]