FORUMS: list search recent posts

CS5 Encore over size limit

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
catherine lam
CS5 Encore over size limit
on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:10:15 pm

I've been trying to burn a DVD with 3 AVI files on it. Each AVI file is about an hour long. I have tried to leave the transcode settings to automatic. I then checked the project and it didn't give me any errors. But as it gets to the end of the burning process, it gives me the "over the capacity" error.

I've also tried to adjust the transcode settings but I still can't seem to get the files small enough to fit on the disc.

I've also tried exporting the videos in Premiere as MPEG 2 files but I can't seem to get the files small enough to fit on disc.

I've attempted to use WMV files which I can make small enough to fit on a disc but it looks awful and seems to freeze.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: CS5 Encore over size limit
on Nov 30, 2010 at 5:00:23 am

hi catherine,
to use WMV-files is a bad idea, WMV is a distribution-codec but NO postproduction-codec.

you need to think/care about butbudgeting, that´s the first thing you have to do if you´re starting to author a disk - that´s the calculation of the video/audio-bitrate depending on the capacity of your disk (DVD5 or DVD9) and your assets-running-time.

I know a few tools for MAC OS, you might google for some WIN-tools.

depending on this calculation you need to choose the transcoding-settings or create your own using adobe media encoder or the MPEG-2-exporter from premiere.

if you have 3h video and a single stereo-audio-track that will be transcoded to dolby digital@192kbit/s your video-bitrate will be 3.1MBit for a DVD-5, that´s very poor quality, you might go DVD-9, there you´ll have 5.8Mbit, that´s a lot better.

another advice: don´t use PCM-audio, use dolby digital instead. 90% of all DVD-playback-problems I´ve seen depending on PCM audio on DVD-R.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Ken Jaedicke
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:16:19 am

I have a similar problem. My video Project is 02:40:00 in duration and I calculated a CBR to get me a file that is 4.4 GB in size. The render took 2 1/2 days, so I am not keen on repeating it. I built the DVD in Encore and I get a message that says "Project Exceeds capacity of the disc." Since I am using a 4.7 GB and can do math there seems to be a Phantom 300 MB stowing away on my project. The DVD-Rom content says 526k so nothing there.

Any ideas?

WTTW Ken

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 1, 2010 at 4:50:29 pm

Hey Ken,
I haven´t figured out so far, how encore is calculating the capacity of the entire disk, if it would calculate on 4.7GB or 4.39GB (logical bytes vs physical sectors), but if you say 4.4GB is to much, I guess it will calculate on physical sectors, meaning 4.39GB max for DVD-5.

as I´m a mac-user I know that 4.39GB is the max. capacity if you burn a DVD with toast on a mac-computer.

conclusion: you need to reduce your bitrate, but I would use VBR instead of CBR. if all your videos are 160min. you need to have 3.56Mbits as target-bitrate and you can choose 7.8MBit as max. bitrate if you have 192kbit/s dolby-digital audio.

2 1/2days encoding is quite a long time! what is the source-material and what kind of computer do you have? I have a 4core mac pro and an 8core mac pro, and it will need approx. half-real-time to encode such SD-MPEG2-file for DVD-authoring.

note: bitrates lower than 5MBit/s for video will have a poor quality.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Ken Jaedicke
on Dec 1, 2010 at 5:17:46 pm

Drat I was hoping you had better news than that. I am working on a Windows 7 PC using Sony Vegas as my NLE. My Mac is down, but is much slower than my PC. The project is mostly AVCHD files and I am stepping them down to Standard Def for delivery. Vegas seems to have an issue where it crashes during rendering the MPEG2 when I use more than 1 processor thread. So it is not using the full processing muscle on this project. I guess that I may have to bite down and re-render. Thanx for the input, helps me resign myself to the pain.

WTTW Ken

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 1, 2010 at 5:52:34 pm

Ken,
why not exporting your AVCHD-film as HD-quicktime or AVI-file, then using MPEG Streamclip afterwards for the downscaling and do the encoding in an encoding-application like adobe media encoder (AME)? or maybe let AME encode it from the HD-quicktime/avi-file.

you´ll have a much better (and faster) result! exporting from an NLE-suite to MPEG2 is a pain!

MPEG Streamclip is freeware -just google for it - great swiss knife that used to be in every editors toolbox.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Ken Jaedicke
on Dec 1, 2010 at 6:09:35 pm

I had opted to not transcode the AVCHD files on the frontend of my edit because I was very eager the begin my cut. Since Sony Vegas 9 opened the .mts media and allowed me to start dropping it on my timeline I figured it would be fine to work with them that way. not on the back end that appears to be multiplying my render time so that if my client needs any changes I cannot deliver very rapidly. Lesson Learned.

My 1st render used a CBR of 3.525Kbps and that was too big for Encore. This time I will go with your suggestion of a VBR, 1 pass, at Max 7.800Kbps and an average 3.398Kbps (-5%) I hope this'll help me to squeak it in. I'll post my results.

WTTW Ken

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 9, 2010 at 7:20:57 pm

Use a Dual Layer DVD. Problem solved

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Ken Jaedicke
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:21:10 pm

I thought about using the double layered DVD-R but I was trying to keep the project cost down for my client. I finished the re-encode at the new rates and squeaked under the limit. Thanx again for the help, I had been stuck thinking I had a menu setting wrong and that that was foiling me. Turns out to be that the Encore programmers have not programmed Encore to accommodate users to arrive at a target file size and have it fit on a disk that says 4.7GB and have it actually fit. Had I known I would have figured my bit rates for 4.3GB.

WTTW Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]