importing FCP project into Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Alsop
importing FCP project into Encore
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:50:15 pm

Hey all
I know this is an Adobe forum but maybe I'll have better luck with the source
So I'm working on FCP Studio and just finished editing a project which was shot on HD 720 24pn. I now want to create a blu-ray using Encore cs4 but Encore is on a separate system (a PC to boot)
1- what file type should I be exporting from FCP ( a regular self contained QT?)
2-This is a large project, will Encore automatically "compress" the footage to fit on the disk?
3-should i be worried at all about the frame rate?
4- will encore recognize chapter markers set in FCP or will I have to re-create them?
Thanks for any feedback

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: importing FCP project into Encore
on Nov 25, 2010 at 11:14:48 am

hi chris,
to create a BD from a MOV-file is simple, but in your case it´s not possible because of the BD-specs.

720p24 is not part of BD-specs, you should go 720p60 or 720p50 (for europe).

if your source-film is shot on 720p24, you can upscale it to 1080p24 and conform it to 1080p23.98 for use within encore CS4.

this is necessary, because encore CS4 can´t handle 1080p24 as it is part of the BD-specs, it could only handle 1080p23.98.

with encore CS5 it is possible to use 1080p24 as well.

so your workflow should be as follow:
1. export self-contained from FCP
2. upscale to 1080p24 using compressor or mpeg streamclip
3. conform the mov to 1080p23.98 using apples cinema tools
4. encode the file with the new chapter-marker (using compressor)
4. import the asset into encore

if you would like to have chapter-marker at a specific position you need to import the MOV into encore and set the chapter-marker over there as well, it cant read out chapter-markers out of a MOV-file.

NOTE: if you´re conforming to another frame-rate you´ll loose all your chapter-markers, in that reason it is necessary to re-set them.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Chris Alsop
on Nov 25, 2010 at 4:01:31 pm

Thanks for the info Danny! And while I completely understand what you're saying I was wondering if you wouldn't mind explaining how to upscale in compressor and then reconform to 23.98 using cinema tools as I have never done either of these things. And do you think it's better to upscale to 1080 as opposed to your other suggestion of 720p60. Regardless, any info on how to conform frame rates would be great! Thanks a ton!
Chris

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Nov 25, 2010 at 6:46:52 pm

hi chris,
it´s much easier to upscale than to change your frame-rate, so I would go 1080p23.98.

to conform your video to the new frame-rate is very simple, just drag your mov-file onto the cinema-tool application. maybe it is asking you to create a database at that moment, create a new one and then you´ll see your video and a conform-button on the lower right. press conform and it´ll ask you for the frame-rate.

choose 23.98 - there you go.

what you need to know: cinema tools is changing the meta-datas of your source-file, so you might create a backup-file first.

to upscale your film would be very easy if you would use mpeg streamclip (freeware - google is your friend).

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Chris Alsop
on Nov 26, 2010 at 12:51:57 am

Perfect Danny! Thanks for the step by step info. Much appreciated!!
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]