FORUMS: list search recent posts

Repication vs Duplication Blu-Ray

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Steele
Repication vs Duplication Blu-Ray
on Nov 19, 2010 at 6:53:56 pm

What is the general consensus about the reliability of duplicated Blu-ray discs? I'd like to make a run of about 500 discs but will bag it if they won't play in my customers home blu-ray players.

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
Re: Repication vs Duplication Blu-Ray
on Nov 19, 2010 at 7:37:49 pm

Hi Mark,

We do a fair amount of Blu-ray Disc duplication and seldom hear about problems with compatibility. I think the biggest concerns are about the difference in the format of BD-R and BD-Rom/replicated Blu-ray Disc.

Keep in mind that right now, Blu-ray Disc is quite a bit different than DVD, in that the duplicated format is very different than the replicated format. Not only is the process of getting the content onto the disc different, but the features and options available when authoring them are different.

Currently, you cannot copy-protect a BD-R. With what I think are very few exceptions, you cannot use BD-Java on BD-R discs. There are some other limitations too, but those are typically the biggest things that I see as restraints when comparing the two.

If you are careful to encode your video assets well and in spec, and author the Blu-ray well, and in spec and do some testing up front with your master, a duplicated BD-R should have high compatibility across the majority of players on the market.

Even some replicated Blu-ray Discs still have problems. I am going back and forth with Netflix right now trying to trouble shoot why the Mad Men Season 1 Blu-ray Discs don't load on my LG-BD390. They have sent multiple discs, and they all have the same problem. Sometimes it just happens.

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
Re: Repication vs Duplication Blu-Ray
on Nov 27, 2010 at 2:44:44 pm

Hi Guys,

We've found some playability issues with duped blu-rays, but it's mainly because the discs were played on early players that required you to have AACS on the disc... BD-Rs don't have that.

BD-J stuff seems to have playibilty issues in duplicated and replicated discs mostly due to old firmware.

Matt, I have the same player, and Terminator Salvation doesn't load because of an old firmware.

With any duplication, the discs matter... you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps, and if you're in the UK check out
http://www.alpha-duplication.com - we do all that stuff!

Cheers,
Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
Matrox RT.X2 LE Capture Card
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved