Trying to use Adobe Encore to create a manual advance keynote BD-ISO

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chadd Weston
Trying to use Adobe Encore to create a manual advance keynote BD-ISO
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:54:31 am

Hi All,

Background:

I'm a media designer that produces corporate media content for a recruiting firm.

Objective:

I'm trying to devise a way for presenters in our sales offices to run standardized group interview and training HD keynote shows without the use of a DVD player or a laptop on their LCD screens.

Laptops= every manager needs an apple computer and keynote software to run the content + its messy to have to manage wired connections to the mounted LCD panels all the time.

DVD Players= any updates that are required to this content from time to time make the idea of re-shipping physical DVD's logistically undesirable.

Proposed Solution:

Perminently integrate a BD-ISO (menu) compatible HD media player into our office setups that will run manual advance Keynote BD-ISO's (created in Encore) where any new updates can just be downloaded from a central server in the form of a Blu-ray master iso image by the end-user, dropped on their USB flash drive, and played through the media player.

Here's the workflow I've come up with (Problem to follow):

1. Design a 1280x720 keynote presentation in Apple iWork's Keynote '09

2. Export a timed (Intervals: 5 sec/between each slide & 2 sec/between each object animation) h.264 | 1280x720 | 29.97 quicktime .mov file

3. Create Blu Ray Encore Project (1280x720, h.264, 29.97)

4. Import .mov file as timeline

5. Insert chapter markers at the beggining of every animation/transition (On diagram below- I'm talking about Ch. 3 & 5)

6. Insert a second chapter marker directly before each of the previous set of chapter markers as close together as encore will allow (On diagram below- I'm talking about Ch. 2 & 4)

7. Set "end action" on each of the second set of chapter points (Ch. 2 & 4 below) to "Link back to here" so that the still image hold that occures after each "keynote animation" (thanks to the 2 sec hold time I set in the Keynote export- see step 2 above) is isolated so the playback loops on that chapter (which is a still frame because of the 2 sec pause between animations as set in keynote export).

Note on this technique: Idea is to set up the timeline and chapter end actions so that the playback loops on a few identical frames that exist between the two "extremely-close-together" chapter points (creating a "pause" effect) until the end user hits "Next Chapter" button on remote to jump to the proceeding chapter that contains the next keynote animation or tranistion.

Diagram:

(...------Ch.2<---->Ch.3(beggining of animation)----------(end of animation)Ch.4<---->Ch.5--------->)

8. Set "First Play," "Title Button," and "Timeline End Action" to Ch.1 of the timeline (so it starts there when ISO is activated and loops back to there at the end of the presentation).

9. Export as "Blu-ray" Image

10. Load iso file on a USB flash drive, plug it into BD-ISO (menu) supported media player, and run the ISO and Voila!! = HD Keynote presentation running from BD-ISO file on a media player. PERFECT SOLUTION....

PROBLEM:

One of the most marketable (due to affordable price-point) BD-ISO (full menu support) media players is the HDX BD1. When I run the ISO file on this unit, it will play the first chapter, and pause and loop on chapter 2 like it is supposed to, creating the pause effect; But when I select "next chapter" it says "cannot_execute"- and I cannot proceed to the next transition/animation. I've previewed the setup in the encore preview feature and it behave's perfectly.

I'd be quick to say its a hardware issue but I've checked out several YouTube videos with people demoing this exact media player running and navigating feature film BD-ISO's (selecting "next chapter" and all) without any issues at all.

I've mastered something similar to this technique using DVDSP on SD DVD's, because DVDSP allows me to infinitley pause playpack ON each chapter point, not even needing the use of the "loop" feature I've set up in encore; But Adobe Encore doesn't offer a "pause" end action so I've come up with this as the next best thing. Although it doesn't play back properly on a full BD-ISO NAVI supported media player.

QUESTIONS:

1. Based on this setup, is there anything obvious I'm missing in Adobe Encore that would eleviate this playback problem on the media player?

2. Is there another authoring workflow within Encore that would allow me to acheive Keynote motion graphic, manual-advance slideshows?

Thanks for help in advance.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Trying to use Adobe Encore to create a manual advance keynote BD-ISO
on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:54:42 pm

hi chadd,
you have a similar possibility with blu-ray as with DVD SP.

you can have a pause infinitely on BD as well - but that´s not possible with encore! you need to use scenarist for that or another (professional) solution.

but the problem that you´ve got could be a encore-bug! you haven´t told us which version you use, so it would be good to do so!

CS3 is a big, big mess - CS4 is better, CS5 is a lot better, but not a final state of what you like it to be!

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Chadd Weston
on Oct 25, 2010 at 7:55:59 pm

Dan,

I apologize for not telling you the version! I'm using Adobe Encore CS4 on MAC OS X Snow Leopard. The dilemma of course in using CS5 is that Encore CS5 is not downloadable as a trial version. :S

On your Scenarist Note: Your confident this software will do the trick? I have no experience with Scenarist. I'd like to keep my workflow all MAC based if possible but I'm willing to jump on Windows if it ends up being the only way.

Thanks for the help Dan!

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:56:43 pm

Scenarist runs about $20,000 plus there a huge learning curve. A little advice....unless you have a simple title and/or plan on doing very little BD work in the future, you might want to hire someone to do this for you. There are tons of pitfalls in BD which can cost time, money and embarrassments. This is just my opinion but look at James Heliker's posts 2 threads down from yours. This is what happens when someone jumps into a BD project without doing their homework.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]