FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bluray Menus Issue

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Heliker
Bluray Menus Issue
on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:01:48 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a Blu-ray project which contains several pop-up menu's, for choosing subtitle and audio track options. I have two specific issues that I'm not understanding just yet...

1. What does "Resume" do? I placed a button on my popup with the link set to Resume, and it appears to do nothing when pressed. My hope was that I could make the popup menu close by clicking a button like this, as opposed to the viewer having to press popup menu again on the remote. Is this possible?

2. On a popup menu, or regular menu (either), I have buttons that "Link back to here" and set audio or subtitle track selections. I've also set on the properties of these menus, the default button to "Active Subtitle Track" or "Active Audio Track". However the menu buttons do not appear to be highlighted appropriately when you call up the menu. How can I make a menu or popup menu display the Active Subtitle Track?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help very much!

- James Heliker
james.heliker@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Larry Applegate
Re: Bluray Menus Issue
on Oct 16, 2010 at 2:45:06 am

Hi James,

The short answer is that you can't use a subtitle menu successfully until Adobe does an Encore update which was working in a special build that I saw at NAB but never made it info a formal release.

The problem is that the generated Blu-ray instructions for selecting the subtitle (and audio) tracks is just plain wrong. The way it was supposed to work is that a GPR (general purpose register) was supposed to retain the selected value, but among other things the code always immediately clears the register after saving the correct value.

There was a similar but different problem in CS4 and we devised a solution with our BluStreak Premaster application, by post-processing the Encore build folder prior to burning or replication.

http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com/

However to fix the CS5 code would require re-multiplexing of the menus, at which point we gave up, since we don't have a Blu-ray multiplexer. Don't consider going back to CS4, however, since in most other respects the CS5 navigation is far superior.

So your best bet is to ping on Adobe and ask them, when are you going to release this fix?

Then, unfortunately, even after the fix, you are trying to do two things with one interface: use a highlight to show which button is selected, meaning which button will activate when you press Enter, and trying to use the same highlight to show which button indicates the current stream number. Yes, if there was scripting capability, you could select the appropriate button when the menu pops up.

In professional authoring, what the author does is use "button groups". A button group is a collection of images for different states of the same button, separate from any highlighting for selection and activation. The button group will only show the enabled image, and the other images will all be disabled by scripting.

Blu-ray allows completely different images and palettes, so the possibilities are endless, and it is simple enough to put a check mark or some other means to indicate which is the currently selected stream, even while navigating and deciding which buttons to select and activate.

The author who first asked us for this feature for CS4 actually accomplished it on a normal (not popup) menu, by having two versions of the entire menu, for just two audio choices. And luckily he didn't have subtitles, the possible combinations grow very quickly.

Resume applies only to normal menus, not popups. There is actually a Popup-off command, and Encore includes it, but forgot to implement it. Luckily most players will close the popup when you hit the popup button a second time.

With these bugs, the only way to properly set audio and subtitle tracks is with the remote functions themselves, or by using set stream and link directly to the main video from a normal menu.

Regards,

Larry Applegate
Rivergate Software, Inc.

Return to posts index

James Heliker
Re: Bluray Menus Issue
on Oct 18, 2010 at 5:38:12 pm

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the information. So am I reading correctly that there is no way to author my Blu-ray disc as desired from within Adobe Encore CS5? In my limited tests things seem to be working as far as calling up different subtitle languages or turning them off - but the "default button" on my menu and pop-up menu's most certainly isn't being set correctly for "Active Subtitle Track" or "Active Audio Track" either.

As far as turning the pop-up menu off, Encore "includes" this function in that they developed it but didn't release it? This is very disappointing given that I'm not needing to build a hollywood-level disc - just trying to implement basic functionality that I could provide on a standard def disc in DVD Studio Pro already (minus the pop-up of course).

Thanks again for your help,

- James Heliker
james.heliker@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]