FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore cs3 problem

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Nagy
Encore cs3 problem
on Sep 26, 2010 at 11:42:13 pm

I'm trying to do a project in encore but I'm having problems with the files playing. The original files come from a dvd that was recorded direct from an old BETA tape. I ripped the files with DVD DECRYPTER using the instructions from Jeff Bellune's article on the Adobe site. The video ends up as 3 files. Two are .99 megs and one is 645 megs. When I import them and try to play them or even scrub through them,they go blank after a few minutes. One about 4 minutes, one about 2 and one about 9. This is while having them on the timeline seperately. The part of the video that does play, plays perfectly. The audio file which ripped as one whole file will play anywhere that I scrub it to. Any ideas what's going on?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Encore cs3 problem
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:16:49 am

You should have gotten a single .m2v file and a single .ac3 audio file if you followed the procedure in my article.

So it appears something went wrong with the rip.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:46:54 am

Hmm. Any idea what? I'll go through it again tomorrow step by step and see what happens. I'll set everything back to default first and go from there. Thanks for responding.

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Sep 27, 2010 at 5:42:56 pm

Okay I went back and reset everything, then went through your article again. I missed changing the file splitting to none. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem in Encore. Now it goes black at 3:46 just like it did in the first clip when it was split. I even tried re-transcoding in Encore using all the different settings which didn't help but when I import it to the timeline,the clip only shows up on the timeline as 3:46 long.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:09:58 pm

Tell me more about the original DVD: was it recorded in such a way as to be playable on a normal hardware DVD player?

Also, if you have MediaInfo or GSpot, please post the attributes of the ripped .m2v file. MediaInfo would be better in this case.

You should have Premiere Pro CS3 because Encore CS3 comes with it; do you have After Effects CS3? What happens to the ripped .m2v file when you import it into either of those applications?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Sep 27, 2010 at 11:18:49 pm

I don't know if it matters but the original was home movie shot on VHS. I had it transfered to BETA because that was going to be "the media". From there it went directly to DVD recorded on a home system. That DVD plays fine on our DVD player but has no menus.

I have Pcs3 but not on my machine as I use an old VEGAS version which I like better. If I need to install it to check this out I can do that. The file itself plays on VEGAS 6. It also plays on all my media players. Below is the info from Mediainfo.

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Wise Birthgiver\Desktop\85 provincial project\second try rip\VTS_01_PGC_01_1 - 0xE0 - Video - MPEG-2 - 352x480 (NTSC) - 4~3 - RAW.M2V
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 2.64 GiB
Duration : 51s 310ms
Overall bit rate : 442 Mbps

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Duration : 51s 310ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 433 Mbps
Nominal bit rate : 9 586 Kbps
Width : 352 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 85.539
Stream size : 2.59 GiB (98%)

Text
ID : 224 (0xE0)-DVD-2
Format : EIA-608
Muxing mode : DVD-Video
Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 28, 2010 at 1:03:09 am

Thanks for that.

There are several indications from the MediaInfo data that your video is non-standard MPEG2 video; it certainly isn't DVD-spec video. I'm surprised En didn't reject the video completely.

It looks like an MPEG2 program stream (MPEG2-PS) instead of a video-only file. Again, this could be because of a bad rip.

The file shows a total bit rate well in excess of the DVD max of 9.8 Mbps, although the nominal bit rate is within specs. That dichotomy, along with the non-spec frame size of 352x480, is a problem that can't be solved without re-ripping with different settings. And it may not be solvable at all.

If the video was recorded by a home DVD recorder, that could explain the issues. Unfortunately, it will also be a tough hurdle to overcome without re-transcoding the video.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:29:41 am

I have some time tomorrow so I'll play with some settings and rip it again, and again, whatever. As long as I have the time it's a chance to learn some stuff and maybe I'll get lucky with it. Would really like to put a menu in it. It's a sports video and I plan to send copies to a lot of my old buddies that were in the video shot 25 years ago.

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:09:06 pm

Well I spent all morning messing around with DVDD changing a few settings with no luck. Now I know pretty much nothing about this and am just experimenting so it's no surprise.

What I did is downloaded MPEG Streamclip. With that I just opened the DVD, and let it fix the timecode breaks as suggested. Really, I don't even know what that means but it was suggested so I did it. Then I saved the file to a folder. I imported that into Encore and it plays fine with the audio. Later on I'm just going to set it up with minimal menu items and then burn it to see what happens. My original problem months back was ghosting on the burned copy, but I had converted it to Quicktime first. The experiment continues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]