FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD widescreen

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Mohr
SD widescreen
on Sep 21, 2010 at 3:16:42 pm

I'm hoping someone can explain this to me, it's in regards to a widescreen SD DVD. I received a DVD that was SD wide screen. When I played it in my DVD player on a normal 4:3 monitor, it filled the screen and the left and right sides were cut off. When I play back a DVD that I created in Encore of widescreen SD footage, it plays back so I can see the entire frame with black bars above and below. So I don't really know why there are two types of playback of seemingly the same aspect ratio and what makes this do this. Could anyone enlighten me and is one better than the other?

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: SD widescreen
on Sep 22, 2010 at 6:54:05 pm

1 - The setup of your DVD player should match the type of TV you have - 4:3 or 16:9. I would wager that 92.7% of people do not know there is such an option in a home DVD player.

2 - Encore will identify widescreen video and flag it appropriately for correct playback. Search for Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) here on the COW or on a search engine. Some DVD authoring tools may not correctly identify widescreen video and it can appear squished or cut off.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Michael Mohr
on Sep 23, 2010 at 3:14:28 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I think I get it now and it comes from your second point. If whatever was used to create the DVD doesn't produce a flag like you described, the video won't play back in the proper perspective on a 4x3 system. That makes sense. The DVDs that I got were from a JVC HDD camcorder and DVD docking/share station. I could see that not having the extra encoding.

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Sep 23, 2010 at 9:35:50 pm

What you are experiencing is the 'Center Cut' mode. Did you try changing the DVD player settings to 4 x 3?

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]