FORUMS: list search recent posts

Authoring Blu-Ray - cannot import video

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Authoring Blu-Ray - cannot import video
on Sep 17, 2010 at 9:32:18 pm

I successfully exported a MPEG2 (m2v/wav) at 1920x1080i 29.97 from Premiere CS4. It plays back in VLC and looks nice.

Intending to burn the Blu-ray ISO to a DVD-R (it is a 3 minute video for a loop) I started a Blu-Ray project, selected MPEG2

(did not encode to h.264 blu-ray because Media Encoder would not do it without an "unknown error" - not very helpful but surely there is a reason for it).

Import as timeline, select the m2v and wav, and at 24% it freezes. In fact I needed to hard reboot the computer at this point because Windows 7 completely seized.

I have made hundreds of SD DVD's in Encore, so this is new behavior.
Please advise.

Thanks

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Authoring Blu-Ray - cannot import video
on Sep 17, 2010 at 9:38:42 pm

note to self - search my own past questions:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/145/867835

Will see if this works!

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 18, 2010 at 12:19:37 am

deleted the registry entry for media cache - now importing the m2v gets to 99% and freezes Windows. Importing of WAV was no problem.

And standard def DVD authoring works normally - it seems importing an HD resolution MPG2 is the culprit.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 18, 2010 at 5:56:05 pm

Tried on another computer - same effect - import mpeg2 file encoded at 1080i max bit rate 20mbit/sec - gets to 99% then freezes system

Has anyone experienced this, or likewise, has anyone been successful in this?

Thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 18, 2010 at 10:19:07 pm

Update - I can import an MOV file (1440x1080 uncompressed 8bit) into an Encore Blu-ray project without crashing. Seems only Blu-Ray compatible formats cause a Blu-ray project to crash, which is to be expected ;)

Seems to be transcoding ok - I guess the answer is - let Encore transcode.

Mike

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Sep 19, 2010 at 2:58:16 pm

hi mike,
first of all I wonder, why you´re going m2v instead of h264, as it has the same picture-quality at a lower bitrate.

I would suspect a corrupt m2v-file, even if it would be played fine within VLC-player, but if media-encoder woulnd´t import it with an error, there would be something strange with the file itself, because adobe media encoder will import m2v-files normally.

I asked myself as well why you´ve exported m2v out of premiere instead of a mov-file and transcode it with adobe media encoder.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 19, 2010 at 4:40:27 pm

Danny

I have actually tried both m2v and h.264 out of Premiere, using Adobe Media Encoder - neither format will actually import into Encore without taking down the system. A SD 720x480 m2v goes into Encore without incident.

So now I have exported an uncompressed MOV out of Premiere which imports into Encore in a heartbeat and plays no problem.

However I have now noticed that even if I set the project type to Blu-Ray when making a new Encore project, if I click on "Build", it shows that the format is DVD, not Blu-Ray. Changing it to Blu-Ray again freezes the system.

I got excited because Encore seemed to transcode my MOV and build an ISO, only to realize it had transcoded to SD.

Weird.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 19, 2010 at 5:13:08 pm

Measure twice, cut once. I followed Jeff Bellune's advice from my posting on this subject back in April, which concurs with similar postings on the Adobe forums, to update the roxio drivers which Windows 7 somehow messes up. Now everything seems to work normally.

Thanks Jeff (delayed) and Danny for your support.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Sep 19, 2010 at 5:40:43 pm

mike,
I know there are a lot problems with encore CS4, it´s a bit better with encore CS5.

these problems are on both systems (PC+MAC) because the programm itself is badly programmed with a lot compromises.

I´m a mac-user and I´ve seen a lot errors and bugs in it.

just my 2 cent (EURO)

danny

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 19, 2010 at 6:22:11 pm

As a follow-up - the Blu-ray ISO image burned to a DVD-R plays beautifully in a Blu-Ray player.

Hoping to upgrade to CS5 before the year is up - but otherwise Encore CS4 has been pretty stable (started with Encore 1.0 back in the day).

Thanks again.

Mike

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Sep 19, 2010 at 8:01:41 pm

Also its a very good idea to use IMGburn to burn your folders. Its simply the finest burning software created and its free. Also dont include your AACS folder in your burn. Some players will balk, others won't

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Sep 22, 2010 at 4:53:19 pm

if you´re authoring with encore that wont be any AACS-folder ;)

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]