FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much HD Video will fit on a Single-Layer DVD?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Weinberg
How much HD Video will fit on a Single-Layer DVD?
on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:35:49 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm not naive, I know it would not be much at all, but it may not be a problem as long as I know our limitations.

I am in charge of our video department and up until recently, we have done SD and had no problem since almost all of our videos are online and most people, at least in my company's target market, can't afford monitors that would display perfect quality HD (at least I know that, those watching may not).

My supervisor is one of those people so I would say SD works just fine for the online videos. But occasionally we'll have opportunities to display some videos in trade show booths on actual HDTVs and such where HD video is much more prominent. We don't do videos for trade shows too often (at least not now) and so it has not made much sense to upgrade everything we have to accomidate for HD (like HD Camcorders and Blu-Ray burners). But since the videos we make are usually not very long (no more than 10 minutes), I was wondering if it might be worth it to upgrade to a HD camcorder and just burn onto our standard single-layer disc.

We aren't going to make a final decision until I've looked at all of my options. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

I should also add, I am not part of a production company, we just do our videos in-house, and video has only been a part of this company for a short time, and I was hired to develop it on a budget.

Return to posts index

Michael Folorunsho
Re: How much HD Video will fit on a Single-Layer DVD?
on Aug 11, 2010 at 5:41:43 pm

Hi Ben.

'Single-Layer DVDs' play standard definition video only, not HD.`You can of course down-convert HD video to conform to the standard definition DVD spec, but DVDs play standard definition video only.

What you need are blu-ray discs (& a blu-ray player). You can put HD video on those.

Mike

Michael Folorunsho - Videographer & Editor
http://www.mikedoesmedia.com

Return to posts index

john williams
on Aug 21, 2010 at 10:59:03 am

I might have lost the thread here but i regularly put short films (up to 20 mins.max)on standard DVD's. I make an .iso image file in CS4 and burn it in "imgburn", result= superb quality + low cost.

Return to posts index

john williams
on Aug 21, 2010 at 11:30:48 am

I should have added that i burn the Hi Def film on std DVD's in a Bluray burner (LG £89.00p) they will play in any Bluray player but not in a std. DVD player. I make another disk down converted from hd and burn a std.disk to play in a normal DVD player.The quality of the Bluray DVD is very good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]