FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore and Blu-ray size

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Mitchell
Encore and Blu-ray size
on Jul 16, 2010 at 5:03:29 am

Pretty strange situation here. I have a very simple blu-ray project, basically an MPEG 2 elementary stream and audio AC3 that add up to 23,574,274,707 bytes. It is straight plug and play, no menu etc. The program is set to don't transcode. If I try to build a BD image it fails with a size error. If I build a folder the final BD is too big and the multistreamed .m2ts file is being identified as 24,729,434,112 bytes which is nearly a gigabyte bigger than my two elementary streams. Windows is also identifying it as AVCHD file and not MPEG2 - is this normal? Apart from that shouldn't that second file fit on a BD-R anyway, the whole structure is only a few bytes bigger.

FWIW I find Encore always overestimates the size of the final BD in its build window and previously this has not affected my ability to build an image. I'm also not getting a project exceeds disc capacity error.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Encore and Blu-ray size
on Jul 18, 2010 at 4:48:37 pm

I recommend re-transcoding to a smaller file size.

It's not just like placing the files on a data disc, there needs to be space reserved for ISO and MPEG overhead (there are additional files that are generated for the disc, not just the ac3 and m2v)

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

John Mitchell
on Jul 19, 2010 at 12:26:47 am

Hi Jon

The point is - it isn't too big. Encore doesn't report it as being too large it just fails with some arcane size error towards the end of the build iso command.

I ended up building to a folder and this folder burnt successfully to a disc.

YAEB - yet another Encore bug.

On the subject of Blu-ray and size I had another iso which built an ISO at a size of 36GB! The assets are 23GB only - I guarantee when I rebuild to a folder it will fit. Encore has some serious bugs with Blu-ray.

Return to posts index

John Mitchell
on Jul 21, 2010 at 7:52:45 am

OK - just wanted to clarify that this is definitely a bug. This project consistently built to a 33GB image within Encore. Here's a look at the check project window that confirms that Encore knows it is the right size:

This shot confirms there is roughly 22GB (real) of assets:

Here's the build window (that as per usual Encore incorrectly reports the build size as 26.25GB - I've learnt to ignore this!):

Here's the flow chart that confirms each asset is only used once (not that this should affect disc size):

Here's the screen shot of two .iso files of the same project - note the one that Encore built is from the project, the other correctly sized iso is built from a folder using the Encore Blu-ray folder option in combination with ImageBurn:

So basically everytime Encore built an image it somehow manage to shove an extra 11GB into it! When it built a folder it did it correctly. Deleting caches etc made no difference and I have no way of determining exactly what the 33GB ISO from Encore contains because it won't mount. I might add that I have successfully built images from Encore for BD before so I don't know why this particular project decided to behave this way. I like ot build and burn images as a way of ensuring that all that is happening at burn time with expensive BD media is the actual burning as I've had Encore crash before towards the end of a burn.

This kind of random stuff is enough to drive you nuts. It killed one BD on me when the iimage built successfully and I never checked the size and just went to burn it.

Beware check you ISO sizes before burn - HTH someone else

JOhn

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 21, 2010 at 12:25:47 pm

One comment: you didn't include the column headers in the screenshot of your project panel. Unless you've rearranged the columns in your workspace, those Don't Transcode entries are for DVD, not BD. *If* I'm correct, then En may be re-transcoding your assets and producing the larger file size.

The fact that the disc size is showing 0 bytes free and that the project is not flagged as too big with Check Project is another clue that maybe you're dealing with untranscoded assets. With such assets, En's estimates can be way off (until the assets are transcoded).

My theory falls down though when considering that En built a properly sized set of BD folders, but not a proper image. My comment is intended more as "maybe there's a clue here" than as an explanation for what's actually happening in this case.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

John Mitchell
on Jul 22, 2010 at 12:14:47 am

Hi Jeff - no I hid the DVD columns as I find them distracting when working in a Blu-Ray project. Encore definitely did not re-transocde the assets. These were 1920x1080 50i assets so if the DVD clumns had been there they would have been saying "untranscoded".

On the final burn/iso you can see there was some 500MB of free space on the disc which is another issue I have with Encore and Blu-ray. It does not report either the size or free space correctly.

cheers mate

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]