FORUMS: list search recent posts

timeline issues for play all button

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Betts
timeline issues for play all button
on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:33:40 pm

Now that I've uncovered my previous problem related to "automatically route buttons" I find that I have one huge remaining problem. I have a 1 hour timeline with chapter points that I want to play completely through without stopping via a "play all" button. It currently stops at the very first chapter point. Can this single timeline serve as a "play all" button and also be used for my chapter menus or do I need a duplicate timeline with no chapter points for the "play all" button? What do I need to do to make this timeline play through and not stop at the first chapter point when using the "play all" button"

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: timeline issues for play all button
on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:46:25 pm

First, remove any and all overrides from your entire project. Verify that each override is set to Not Set.

Then make sure that none of the chapter markers have their end actions set.

Then link to the timeline from the Play All button and it will play all the way through without stopping.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:22:25 pm

Thanks I'll give that a try. Hopefully it's my last hurdle before duplication. This is my first project with Encore in quite some time since I tried switching over to Apple DVD Studio Pro. I came back to Encore for the seamless workflow with Photoshop when building menus. It's starting to come back to me now. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:28:12 pm

I have always been confused by this - supposing Keith also wants individual buttons to play individual chapters. Is the best way to have each button play the chapter and return to the menu and have a Playlist with all chapters for a "Play All" button OR is it best to do as you say and the "Play All" button plays the timeline and you have say "10" different playlists & buttons for the "10" chapters - just curious. Many times we have 10 different videos and I link each to a button and use a playlist linking all videos (they kiss black in between) for a "Play All". Thanks, rb

Ricky

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:33:43 pm

[Ricky Barrow] "Is the best way to have each button play the chapter and return to the menu and have a Playlist with all chapters for a "Play All" button OR is it best to do as you say and the "Play All" button plays the timeline and you have say "10" different playlists & buttons for the "10" chapters"

The "best" way is subjective. It's easier to create one playlist for a Play All and let each chapter marker have an end action that returns to the last menu. But that only works if you don't need seamless playback between chapters in the Play All function. So if you have a dip to black between chapters, then this method works and is more straightforward.

The individual chapter playlist (for each chapter) method works best when seamless playback of the timeline is necessary for the Play All function.

En's method of creating chapter end actions turns off the seamless flag for the cells, so there will be a slight pause between chapters that have end actions set. The length of the pause varies between DVD players, and you have no control over that.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Jul 14, 2010 at 6:22:02 pm

What do you mean by "the individual chapter playlist method works best when seamless playback of the timeline is necessary for the Play All function?" What method is that and how do I follow it? It appears I've authored 1 of my 5 show dvd's to navigate properly but after so many changes I've lost the methodology on how to to do it.

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:50:58 pm

Is it possible to have 1 single timeline with chapter markers be linked to a "play all" button that will play a 1 hour show without stopping and have the chapter markers in that same timeline be linked to buttons on a chapter menu that will play an individual performance and then return to the chapter menu? Sounds like a simple concept but has been anything but.

I'm not familiar with the Encore concept of a "playlist" you refer to. It that the same thing as a timeline? Can you tell me how to create a playlist? The solution can't be to create a timeline for every 3-4 minute performance in the show I'm authoring. I've got about 20 such performances in each show.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 14, 2010 at 8:48:24 pm

A playlist is not a timeline. If connected to the internet, hit F1, type in the search box "Playlists" - this will walk you through the process. If you're staying with Encore long-term, get Jeff's book, it will be invaluable for you.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:30:15 pm

Hey Jeff, if none of the chapter markers have their end actions set how will the dvd return to the chapter menu after playing each chapter which is a 3 -4 dance performance? This one single timeline serves my "play all' button and 3 chapter menus.

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:38:57 pm

Sooo close to wrapping up this project. What should the end action be for each of my chapter markers? Don't I have to tell the dvd to return to the chapter menu after playing the performance and reaching the next chapter menu point?

And as you suggest do I have the option to set the end action to Not Set? I don't see that listed on the drop down menu in properties. Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:34:36 pm

Keith,

See my answer to Ricky above.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 14, 2010 at 6:34:27 pm

Hi Keith,
You have your timeline with chapters and no end actions on chapters - only end action is on the timeline as a whole. Link your "Play All" button to this timeline and set the end action to return to the menu (select which button you want highlighted when it returns). If you have "10" chapters and "10" chapter buttons on the menu, then you will create "10" playlists. In each playlist you will add 1 chapter. Each chapter button on the menu will link to the respective playlist. Give each playlist an end action to return to the menu (select which button you want highlighted when it returns).

Hope this helps.

Ricky

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Jul 14, 2010 at 9:14:59 pm

This post helped me a couple of weeks ago with the exact same problem. Good Luck!

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/145/868326

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Jul 15, 2010 at 2:10:54 am

Thanks. I'll give it some thought. I think I found the solution with chapter playlists, something I've never used with Encore in the past.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]