FORUMS: list search recent posts

BluRay disc from FinalCut material

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Pizzi
BluRay disc from FinalCut material
on Jul 13, 2010 at 7:17:47 am

hi
i've edited, in final cut pro 6.0.6, a 25fps PAL Sequence with frame size HD 1440x1080 16/9, Field dominance Upper, Quicktime Video Settings Compressor DVCPRO HD 1080i50

my material is : most MXF clips from Panasonic 201 (DVCPRO HD 1080i50) and few clips from Canon 7D (converted in AppleProRes 1920x1080 with MPEG Streamclip)

since i'm going to create a Bluray disc with Encore CS4, i'm going to export a self contained quicktime movie from FCP with sequence current settings and bring it into Encore...

1 - are my sequence settings in FinalCut correct?
2 - is 1440x1080 25 CBR 32kbs a good transcoding setting for my case in Encore?

thanks a lot!

Andrea

Return to posts index

Andrea Pizzi
Re: BluRay disc from FinalCut material
on Jul 13, 2010 at 8:10:40 am

i've tried the way i've described above but, when i play the bluray (with a desktop bluray dvd player on a LG HD TV) i notice that artifact of the interlaced videos except for the few canon 7D clips.
so i think it's necessary to export from FCP a progressive movie but.. which way? do i have to modify my sequence field dominance from upper to none? or change the quicktime video setting for the output compression? which one should i use?

Andrea

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:51:08 am

Hi Andrea,
there are more than 1 issue:

1. DVCPRO HD is 1440x1080 that will be upscaled to 1920x1080 while displayed.

2. BD-spec have NO 1080p25, it has only 1080p24, so it´s no good idea to deinterlace your picture - stay at 1080i50!

3. you don´t really know who is doing the artifacts! maybe there is some picture-processing in the display as well, most of the modern LCDs/TFTs have such things (even if it is turned off!)

4. you haven´t described to which format you´ve encoded your self-contained quicktime-movie.

as you are talking about FCP6, I guess it would be MPEG2 HD! so 25MBit is not that much for MPEG2 HD - if you´re using encore CS4 you better use adobe media encoder CS4 to encode your film to h264, than it´ll be a better quality at 25MBit.

if you used 2pass VBR on your film, try using 1pass - compressor sometimes doing some strange things on 2pass VBR that will end up in pumping artifacts.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Andrea Pizzi
on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:41:15 am

Daniel, thanks a lot for your kind answer.

I've solved that artifact problem... it was just because an incorrect setting of the LCD display :p

Last thing.. i export from FCP a self contained Quicktime movie with the same setting of the timeline (DVCPRO HD 1080i50) ; i bring it directly into Encore CS4 and set Bluray transocoding to 1440x1080i (since this is the frame size of my FCP timeline) and 35Mbps CBR. I made a test and it look fine now but.. do you think i must/can change something to improve my final BD quality? You talked about H264.. but i heard (here in italy, for our BD DVD player) that H264 may result not fully compatible...
Do you think it's better to set BD transcoding to 1920x1080i ? and what about the CBR? can i take it to 40 or it's to much and may cause some problems during playback. I'd prefer CBR to maintain the maximum quality (my movie is only 20 minutes long and so i don't have space problems...)

thanks again ;)

Andrea

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:21:05 pm

Hi Andrea,
H264 is a part of the BD-specs, and the you´ll have the same quality at a much lower bitrate.

I don´t expect any problems with H264 in italy - I´m living in germany and I know that adobe CS4/CS5 encoders will create 100% BD-compliant h264-streams.

I wouldn´t transcode to 1920x1080 because 1440x1080 will be scaled within the player to 1920x1080 and you´ll get better result when you leave the the original size when encoding video-material.

I would set 25Mbit H264-encoding, but you can use 35Mbit CBR MPEG2HD if you want, that would be OK with the the BD-specs.

max. bitrate for Blu-ray is 40Mbit for video and 48Mbit for video+audio.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Andrea Pizzi
on Jul 15, 2010 at 8:37:58 am

Great!!!
then i'll try h264 encoding next time...
thanks again
bye ;)

Andrea

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]