FORUMS: list search recent posts

Enncore disc image size 14GB larger than expected

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cael Kuhlman
Enncore disc image size 14GB larger than expected
on Jul 6, 2010 at 6:30:49 pm

I am using Encore CS5 on a Octo-mac with 12GB ram and snow leopard.

The blu-ray disc I'm authoring has two assets that I exported from FCP as quicktime movies (HDV) and were encoded for blu-ray using adobe media encoder as MPEG-2 blu-ray 25mbps CBR and the audio is AC3 (320kbps)

Despite using Adobe Media Encoder, Encore still wants to take an extraordinary amount of time importing the files.

Here's where the math gets whacky:

The first video file is 9.2 GB and the AC3 audio is 122.1Mb. I put it on a timeline and Encore says the encoded size is 10.5GB. That doesn’t add up.

Then I switch to the build tab and it says I’m using 11.42GB of space. That really doesn't add up.

I have another video file that’s 11.9GB and it’s audio is 157.6MB. The timeline says it.s 13.56GB. Again that doesn’t add up.

I look at the build tab again and now it says 26.16GB. This is at least 3GB greater that what the image should be.

I run check project and it says there were no items found, so apparently encore thinks this will fit on a standard 25GB blu-ray.

During the build, the first thing it does is imports my video assets over again. Then, here’s the best part…the Disc Image ends up being 34GB. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Enncore disc image size 14GB larger than expected
on Jul 7, 2010 at 10:17:28 am

Encoding has nothing to do with the size of the source file - only the length. If you do the math on the length of your footage and your bitrate you will probably find it does add up. Whats the lengths and bitrate?

Return to posts index

Marc D'Amour
on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:11:34 pm

I'm having a similar issue... I have 4 titles that add up to an "Encoded Size" of around 13.1 Gigs. My project settings are MPEG 2 for BluRay at 15.0 Mbps (smallest data rate for Blu Ray) and when I go to build my BluRay it says the estimated size is over 44 Gigs. Some of my source files are mov's. Would that have something to do with it because it has to be converted? Some of my other timelines have .MPG files. I would think my "encoded size" which is larger btw than the actual size of the files, would be the final rendered size. I am running a build to image test now to see how large the final image is. If Encore will import the footage, does it have to transcode it? Is there a way to tell it to leave the footage alone?

Return to posts index

Cael Kuhlman
on Aug 23, 2010 at 3:16:38 am

I use either compressor or adobe media encoder to encode assets before importing into Encore. I never feed Encore the HDV files. Probably because that's the way I always worked with DVDSP.

I never was able to solve that issue. I created a new project and re-authored the entire project over again. That was the only thing that fixed the glitch. I hate encore - it's such a glitchy program and I am at it's mercy because Apple couldn't get off their ass and make a Blu-Ray Studio Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]