FORUMS: list search recent posts

What else can I do to improve DVD quality?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Hurley
What else can I do to improve DVD quality?
on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:24:01 pm

I am trying to burn DVDs of a dance recital I recently videod. Having one heck of a time with it. The dance instructor informed me the video appears to be off by about "1 beat".. (video is slightly ahead of the audio).

So I went back into Premier Pro, and made the following changes to the way I exported:
I used the Media Encoder, and set it to MPEG2-DVD (previously I have used Windows Media).
It is set to VBR, 2 pass.
My minimum bitrate is 6.0, my target is 7.0, and my max is 8.0.

The audio and video are appearing to match up better now, but the colors on the DVD are highly saturated, and blurred somewhat.

Is there any other setting that will help to give me a better looking picture? (Sharper images, with the same colors as in the original)?

I do not know anything about deinterlacing, but am wondering if this would help my situation? If it would help, and if anyone knows how, please help! Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: What else can I do to improve DVD quality?
on Jun 24, 2010 at 5:46:54 am

There is actually a multi-step process to get studio quality downscaling and encoding using completely free utilities (I am assuming your source footage is HD).

Please read my blog post here, as it goes into great detail.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jun 24, 2010 at 5:58:43 am

Thank you very much Jon. I'll be sure to read your blog, as I'm looking at every source of information I can find, but no, the footage is not HD.

The images on the screen look as though I've turned up the saturation and blown out the colors for some reason. I've even tried going back to the footage and over-desaturating somewhat to get the end result to come out better, but still, it appears as if I've not done any editing at all to the footage.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:06:10 am

Do you have any screenshots comparing the original and the mpeg2 compressed version?

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:29:55 am

Actually no. I've never done a screenshot, and am not sure how.
I've got the footage in Adobe Premier Pro now, and I'm rendering. Next, I'll try transcoding again.

Back to the drawing board.....

Do you know if deinterlacing would help out any? Honestly, I am not extremely familiar with many of these terms. I recently began doing these projects and am having to learn as I go.

I would like to get my footage to look as crisp and clear as possible, as I do a lot of weddings. This is the first time I've EVER transcoded into the MPEG2- format. I have always in the past transcoded the footage to .mov files, then created the DVDs from Encore.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:34:51 am

What format is the source footage in? DV 60i 29.97 fps?

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:07:11 pm

Jon, the footage was shot with a Canon XL1s so it's DV, and I shot it at "Frame Rate". There is an option on the camera that allows taping in "normal" mode or in "frame" mode. "Frame" is the mode I shot the footage in.

I do not know about the 60i.

These statements will probably tell you how little I actually know about this subject. I've not been doing this long enough to know what all of this means. But I'm learning. And I appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jun 25, 2010 at 5:17:03 pm

What are the sequence settings of your project? (What mode are you editing in?)

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jun 25, 2010 at 5:39:52 pm

I edited in Adobe Premier Pro with editing mode: DV NTSC, 29.97 fps, fs: 720x480.

I've got my timing issue pretty much cleared up, but the images are still just not right.

The colors are just glaringly bright and appear in places smudged together.

I know there has to be a better way. I am transcoding from Premier. Is there a difference in using different types of software to transcode a project?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jun 25, 2010 at 5:47:41 pm

Well, progressive frames do encode better than interlaced, however if you aren't doing any downscaling (HD to SD), then the quality shouldn't be too bad, especially at the bitrates you specified.

If you want to send me a sample segment of the DV AVI footage, I can encode it using a professional encoder (not Premiere), and you can compare the quality difference.

If you are interested, please send me an email (listed in the contact section of my website).

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Jun 28, 2010 at 1:30:40 am

How long is the video? Are you sure that Encore is not re-encoding the file that you prepped in Premiere? This can seriously degrade a file already encoded as Mpeg2,

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]