FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't encode 29.97progressive blu ray?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Gagnon
Can't encode 29.97progressive blu ray?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 1:47:47 pm

Hello,

i recently shot a short film on the canon 7D and am screening it next week in a small theatre. When I bring the uncompressed .mov export into encore it won't allow me to set the transcode settings to 1080P 29.97. It's either 23.976 progressive or 29.97 interlaced but what i shot was 29.97 progressive. I'm having the same problem in Adobe Media Encoder.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Can't encode 29.97progressive blu ray?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 2:20:19 pm

You're not missing anything. 1080p30 isn't supported by En, and probably not by the Blu-ray spec, either (though I can't say for sure without doing research).

Read here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/421178?tstart=0

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Jon Gagnon
on Jun 1, 2010 at 4:46:56 pm

Yes, my friend just sent me a link confirming this.

Now my options are to encode it as 60i or convert to 24p. Any suggestions? I found this guide to convert to 24 p online.

Superb 30p to 24p Workflow

1. Cut video in 30 fps timeline

2. Create copy of finished edit so you'll have two clips, one to convert to 24p and one to preserve audio.

2. Open Cinema Tool (part of Final Cut Studio), File, "Open Clip", choose "Conform", specify "23.98" to conform to.

Explanation: This keeps the same number of frames in the clip, it only changes the timebase from 30fps to 24fps, essentially creates overcranked footage by 6 frames, (desirable on some shots). As a result this makes the clip longer and slows the audio down which is undesirable where audio is important. At this point you've already created a copy of the original clip therefore preserving the original audio which we'll relink later in Final Cut.

3. Now open the inspector window so we can do some tweaking. Under "Frame Controls" tab, click the button to the right of "Frame Controls:" to enable this feature. Once enabled, select "On" for "Frame Controls:" Underneath the "Retiming Control" section is where we'll make changes. For "Set Duration to:" click the radio button where it will allow us to put in a duration. NOW THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, OPEN THE COPY OF THE CLIP WE CREATED THAT STILL HAS THE 30 FPS TIMEBASE AND PUT IT INTO THE FINAL CUT PRO TIMELINE, DELETE THE VIDEO TRACK AND ENSURE THE TIMEBASE OF THE SEQUENCE IS SET TO 23.98, GO TO THE END OF THE AUDIO AND READ THE TIMECODE, THIS WAY WE'RE ENSURING THAT WE'RE RETIMING (SPEEDING BACK UP) THE CLIP SO IT WILL MATCH THE ORIGINAL AUDIO. This number is the timecode you'll put into the duration field, (example01:08:01:06) then depending on how well you want the footage to look also taking into consideration the time it will require to compress it choose the desired quality under "Rate Conversion:". I choose, "Best (High quality motion compesnation)" to get superb results, however this increases the compression time.

Important: Make sure that no matter which codec you use that it remains as a 23.98 fps timebase.

4. Now take the treated clip into Final Cut, we've already set up the sequence from step 3. Add the clip to video track 1, relink and presto!

I've extensively tested this and find it to be the best way to convert 30p to 24p for the time being, or atleast until and hopefully Canon comes up with a firmware to address the issue.

Additional Tips: If you have multiple clips to treat, in Cinema Tools, choose "Batch Conform" locate one file where all the files are located. Then setup batch conversions in compressor, if you have a quad core or 8 core configure Q master to take advantage of all cores otherwise it will take longer.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jun 1, 2010 at 5:46:54 pm

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution. Sometimes 60i will be best (think scene motion) and sometimes 24p will be best (think film look). Try converting a few short clips both ways and see what looks best on your intended delivery medium.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]