FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layer break not on cell boundary ERROR

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Milner
Layer break not on cell boundary ERROR
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:45:07 am

I was hoping I could get some more help with this error that we're receiving from our replicators.

Basically I have 4 discs, all dual-layer that I created in Encore CS4. All assets were encoded outside of Encore to .m2v/wav by Procoder 3.

There were no errors in the build, and I chose DVD Folder as my Output method and a VIDEO_TS folder was created. I then created an empty AUDIO_TS and burnt both to a DVD-9 with a slow burning speed to create the final master. Playibilty of this disc is fine over everything we have tested. The client was then impressed and decided they wanted to have some copies replicated, so this DVD-9 was the master that was sent to the Pressing Plant.

The "Layer Break not on Cell Boundary" error was on all 4 discs for this job, all discs were created in the same exact way.

I still have the Encore project files so I'm wondering if there is a better way to create these discs to prevent this layer break issue. NOTE: We don't have a DLT drive.

Any and all help received on this fairly urgent matter would be great!

Many thanks,
Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
Matrox RT.X2 LE Capture Card
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Layer break not on cell boundary ERROR
on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:05:14 am

Its because you sent a DVD-9 as a master...big no no!!! Basically your replicator doesn't know who to handle the imaging from the disc correctly. The only way (without screwing things up) is to deliver on DLT or write out DDP images with tools like After Edit or Gear.

Give me a buzz if you need this done and dont want to spend the money and time to learn either tool. Or get a cheap DLT drive and a SCSI card off Ebay.

poweragemedia at yaahoo com

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Apr 28, 2010 at 7:57:58 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. We actually have Gear 8 Pro Mastering here too. In your opinion, what would be the best workflow from Encore to Gear?

Should I just take the DVD-9 disc that I have and make a DDP image? Would that sort out this Layer Break issue?

Thanks again,

Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:52:59 pm

You'll need to do these calculation yourself in Gear. Cells can be found at the beginning of titles and chapters markers (PTT). Its also important that these are set to non-seamless. I haven't used Gear in years but there are tutorials on there site. Another reason why I love AfterEdit is because it gives you a graphical breakdown of your disc marking available layer breaks and makes them non-seamless automatically.

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:31:40 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks, I'm looking into both programs now. What would be the best way (knowing we can't output to tape) to Output my DVD to use in these programs?

Thanks for your help!

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:46:16 am

Hi Eric ,

You can upgrade to CS5. In CS5 Encore can output project to DDP image with copy protection settings , which can be used for replication.DDP images are accepted by all replicaters.

Its a great feature as you donot need any hardware like DLT now for replication .

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:53:16 am

Thats good that the new version can out put DDP images. Delivery them on a USB or thumb drive...avoid writing them to disc.

Return to posts index

Dominic Osborne
on May 7, 2010 at 3:42:40 pm

Wow, finally.
I'd not heard of this feature anywhere else.

I assume for dual layer discs it will create two DDP files sets?

I've been working with a state-of-the-art DVD-Video encryption technology company, who are getting the huge Technicolor plants on board, and we found issues with files created by Encore.

There's a problem with how the files are written with UDF and ISO in the fileset.

Will be interesting to see if they Adobe fix this too.

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Director & Head of Visuals

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

http://www.eesb.tv

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on May 10, 2010 at 5:45:36 am

Hi Dominic,

yes, for dual layer projects two different file set naming layer 1 and layer 2 will be created.

Some users in prerelease program of adobe have used this DDP feature and they are quite happy with it.Relication facilities have no issues with these DDP files.

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on May 26, 2010 at 8:40:42 am

Hi Dominic

As you mentioned : "There's a problem with how the files are written with UDF and ISO in the fileset"

Can you explain this what kind of issues you are observing?
Are you verifying DVDs on some kind of file verification tools , if yes which one?
Are you getting errors while replication ?

This will help in understanding of issue .

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]