FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mystery while exporting HD to DVD in Encore CS4

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Bennett
Mystery while exporting HD to DVD in Encore CS4
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:19:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I’m having a problem with Encore CS4 and hoping you might be able to lend your expertise.

I’m getting this mumbo-jumbo:

"PGC [File Name] has an error at 0.4004s. The aspect ratio of this file is not supported by DVD. – PGC info: name = [File Name], ref = Bpgc, time = 0.4004s."

This is an 80 minute project shot in AVCHD at 1280x720 at 24p.
I edited the project with Premiere Pro CS4 and exported the file as a Microsoft AVI at 720x480 widescreen (pixel aspect ratio of 1.2), 24 frame progressive, Multiplexing set to None.
Took 21 hours to save the file using Adobe Media Encoder. I’m using Windows XP SP3 with an Intel 2 Duo 2.66 with 4 GB RAM and 5400 rpm HDD.
I created 3 menus in Photoshop CS3 at 720x480 and linked them to chapter points that I created in Encore.
I ran the Check Project feature in Encore and there are no errors listed.
I transcoded the disc to create an ISO disc image, and at the end, it gives the PGC error above.

I also tried importing the project from Premiere to Encore using the Dynamic Link Send to Encore feature. After linking all of the menus and rendering for 20 hours, it gave a similar error message.

Any ideas? I’m wondering if I need to output from Premiere with Multiplexing set to DVD.

Thank you!

Russ

Return to posts index

Russ Bennett
Re: Mystery while exporting HD to DVD in Encore CS4
on Apr 3, 2010 at 5:20:01 pm

Below is the solution that solved my problem of creating a DVD with widescreen footage in Premiere Pro CS4.

I had recorded a long event with a Panasonic HMC-150 using the AVCHD codec and shooting 720p at 24 frames per second. I wanted to export this HD 24p footage as standard definition onto a DVD. I wanted several menus at the beginning.

I edited in Premiere Pro CS4 and then exported the project to Encore. I was unsure how to get the widescreen to display correctly. Using the File > Export > Media dialog and clicking on the Video tab, I tried using the 16:9 setting to make my widescreen video acceptable to the DVD format's 4:3 expectations. Sadly, after a 20 hour render, it gave me an error message:

"PGC has an error at 0.5339s. The aspect ratio of this file is not supported by DVD. PGC Info: name=, ref=Bpgc, time = 0.5339s"

Aspect ratio not supported? But I exported with the 16:9 setting. Why would it not work?
I fiddled for hours until coming to the final conclusion, which solved my problem of making a DVD with my HMC150 AVCHD footage:

Create your timeline chapter markers in Premiere Pro. Set the work area bar to the portion of the timeline that you want to export.
Save the file.
Go to File > Export > Media.

Format Settings: MPEG2-DVD
Preset: NTSC Progressive High Quality. (Even if your footage is widescreen, don't use the widescreen setting!)
For Output Name, click that yellow/orange hyperlink and name your file something intelligent. Put it where you can find it later.
Multiplexer tab: set Multiplexing to None. (This setting is the exact opposite of my bug workaround for Encore CS3, which is why it took so long to be willing to click None in CS4). If you don't do set Multiplexing to None, the audio track may be much longer than the video.
You shouldn't have to change any other settings.

Render the file.

Open Encore to a new project.
Right click in your Project pane and select Import as > Timeline.
Import four files here: your MPEG2 Movie Clip, the Wav audio file, your XMPSES data file, and the Adobe XMP file. (If you can't find all of these files, you may need to display the date and time the file was modified. In Win XP, it's a drop-down box in the upper right corner. Not sure where it will be for another OS).

Right click again in the Project pane and click Import as > Menu. Select your menu. I had three widescreen menus and they all worked in the final project. I designed them in Photoshop CS3 at a size of 720x480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.2.

Link all of your menus.
In the Build pane, select Check Project. Fix any errors.
Next, I output to "DVD Image", which creates a generic ISO file that you can burn with any burner software. I also discovered the freeware ImgBurn utility, which allowed me to create discs on my computer without software like Roxio or Nero.

I hope this helps someone who was as stumped as I was.

The final result is that the menus and the video both appear correctly. Also, there had been question of how to salvage the 23.976 frame rate in a 29.97 project. I don't know the technical hows and whys of the pulldown algorithm, but the final DVD plays flawlessly.

My system specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz
4 GB RAM
320 GB 5400 RPM HDD
Windows XP SP3
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 4.2.1
Adobe Encore CS4 4.0.1.048

I had at least one other error in the process. It told me "Error compiling movie. Unknown error." I wondered, If Encore doesn't know what the problem is, how am I supposed to know? Searching the forum revealed that this error can indicate a media cache or memory space problem. I did three things that helped:
1. Cleared space on my hard drive (17 GB was what I ended up with)
2. Went to Premiere's Edit > Preferences > Media and under the Media Cache Database heading, selected Clean.
3. Restarted computer.
Even though I had 6 or 7 GB free before this, it was like I was running out of space.

Thanks to everyone else who posted on this forum and provided clues that helped solve my emergency.

Russ

Return to posts index

declan o shea
Re: Mystery while exporting HD to DVD in Encore CS4
on Jun 8, 2010 at 8:54:08 pm

thanks so much for this ive been up all night trying to export a music video i did in hd that need to be sent off yesterday.
each time it came out wrong and audio crap,
gona rush home a try what you've posted with audio set to pmc,
fingers crossed,
you may have saved a drowning man from combusting
:)
all the best
declan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]