FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slideshow photo error - correct decoders ?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Larkins
Slideshow photo error - correct decoders ?
on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:12:59 am

I've used encore to make menus and output dvds fine, but upon trying to make a slideshow, as soon as I try to bring in any photo file type it hits me up with:

"The software that's used to decode the media is not available on this system. Installing the correct decoders for the files you are working with may help to correct the problem."

Anyone know what's up or where I can get these correct decoders?

Thanks...

Return to posts index

Eric Larkins
Re: Slideshow photo error - correct decoders ?
on Mar 16, 2010 at 6:52:45 am

Okay, I finally got a different pixel ratio jpeg to import, but I can't find anywhere (on the web) what pixel ratio(s) encore prefers - I need to know so I can have photoshop do a batch process on my entire slideshow photo folder.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Broc
on Mar 27, 2010 at 3:35:44 am

I'm having a similar problem. I'm getting the same cryptic message when I try to import a 16 bit tiff file into encore cs4. Tiff 8 bit files import ok.

Been looking for days but can't find any documentation that indicates that 16 bit tiff is not supported. Adobe Encore docs all say "Tiff" implying that all tiff files are supported.

Concerning codecs, Is there a codec that handles 16 bit Tiff? I see a lot of video codecs available for free download but how does one determine their quality?

I'm a newbie and just want to create a DVD based slideshow of the high quality photos I've taken with Canon 5D camera but can't seem to get Encore CS4 to do so.

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Eric Larkins
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:22:54 am

Chris,
Hi, I figured out that the problem on my end was the pixel ratio/size of the photos I was trying to import. Video likes 720x480. Unfortunately Encore was telling me it was a software/codec problem. What I wound up doing was going into photoshop and bringing up "Image Size" (I think it's Ctrl+Alt+I shortcut) and resizing every photo I wanted to bring into the Encore slideshow to 720x480.

Here's the link that helped me figure it out:

http://www.layersmagazine.com/creating-a-dvd-slide-show-with-encore-dvd-and...

As soon as I changed the pixel ratio, it took my photos and worked just fine.

Hope this helps,
Eric

Return to posts index

Chris Broc
on Mar 27, 2010 at 2:55:00 pm

Thanks for the quick response and info Eric.

As you suggested I resized images to 720 x 480. When I save the images as TIFF 8 bit everything works fine but but unfortunately I get the same error message from Encore when saving as 16 bit TIFF. Seems like the issue is specific to 16 bit TIFF images.

So my guess is that either the mpeg2 DVD codec that ships with Encore can't handle 16 bit TIFF or mpeg2 DVDs just can't contain 16 bit TIFF images. I haven't found any documentation that proves or disproves these theories. I feel like I'm loosing a lot of quality by saving as 8 bit TIFF images.

All I really want to do is take the RAW images I shot on my relatively high end Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera and put them on a DVD (without loosing significant quality) so that they can be veiwed on a TV or PC. I thought Encore CS4 would help me do this easily.

Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

Eric Larkins
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:04:36 pm

Same camera my photographer used!

Okay, so I went in to my TIF files properties and see that my bit depth is 24 bit. Is this the same thing as just 'bit', bit depth I mean?

Regardless, I'm just thankful my Encore CS4 took them and I could output. I have no idea why you're having problems with the bit issue.

If you'd like, you can tell me where I can go to make sure I'm verifying properly the bit size of my TIF files?

Cheers,
Eric

Return to posts index

Chris Broc
on Mar 28, 2010 at 12:48:01 am

Eric,

I'm not sure you will see the same info using all Operating Systems but on my Windows 7 machine I can right click on a TIFF file I'm trying to import and select properties. The properties windows has a "details" tab that shows the bits per channel.

If I show the details for an 8 bit TIFF file, the bit depth equals 24. This makes sense to me since there are 3 color channels (R, G, B) and each is 8 bits for a total of 24 bits.

If I show the details for a 16 bit TIFF file, the bit depth equals 48. This makes sense to me since there are 3 color channels (R, G, B) and each is 16 bits for a total of 48 bits.

You can find similar info using Photoshop CS4 if you have an image loaded and select "File Info..." from the file menu. The "Raw Data" tab shows something like this for the 8 bit TIFF:

So it sounds like Encore CS4 only likes 8 bit TIFF files (24 bits of color info) and not 16 bit TIFF files (48 bits of color info). A lot of color info is therefore unfortunately discarded...I guess?

Thanks again for your help with this.

Return to posts index

Eric Larkins
on Mar 28, 2010 at 1:05:06 am

I'm not sure, but it doesn't make sense that premiere and encore both can handle HD and Blu-ray, both extra frames and volume, yet not be able to handle the extra bit depth for sharper color...something doesn't add up (imo), but I can't point you where to look. That's the whole point of handling HD and Blu-ray I thought?

Please let me know if you find something!

Cheers,
Eric

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on May 7, 2010 at 8:43:21 am

Hi ,

Encore can import still files upto 15 megapixels. For above it shows "decoders not available".

If you encounter such error , use less megapixel stills.

I think Adobe team will be working on this in future releases.

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]