FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad looking text in Encore CS4 DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George DeFrates
Bad looking text in Encore CS4 DVD
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:31:33 pm

Hi,

I have created a DVD of still photos in a video in Encore CS4. Introductory and ending text was created in After Effects CS4. Once DVD is burned and played back the text is not crisp and has some jagged edges. I used a True Type Wedding font called English (medium)(free font download) which is a somewhat thin font. Font looks good in AE and in Premier (when monitor set to 100%) but not too good once burned to DVD.

Am I doing something wrong or must I simply use a broader font?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

George

Return to posts index

Jon Buttry
Re: Bad looking text in Encore CS4 DVD
on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:42:03 pm

Text brought in to encore as actual editable text does not anti-alias, which looks bad on screen. Try bringing in the text as an anti-aliased graphic. If it still looks bad, it might be too thin of a text to be reproduced well on an NTSC tv, in which case you may want to experiment with something broader.

Return to posts index

George DeFrates
on Feb 18, 2010 at 5:37:20 pm

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I tried making the text in Illustrator and bringing it in to AE; however, the text will not accept any of the Text Animation Presets with the AI formatted text. I am using the 3d Text preset "falling like leaves". I also rasterized text created in Photoshop, but same issue as with AI text.

It looks like I'll have to go with another font to clean up the text in the DVD.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

George

George

Return to posts index

roger chauvin
on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:52:58 am

I've encountered the same problem recently trying to make a DVD with rather long text introduction panels.
As you say, the fonts looked fuzzy/blurred on screen.

I have made several trials under Photoshop and the best solution was to adopt PAL D1/DV square pixel (in my case, for Europe).
I suppose that for you, it must be NTSC D1 square pixel.

I used also VERDANA fonts which seem to look crisper.

I think that ENCORE is above all dedicated to video clips, slide-shows and menus written with big fonts, and not for reading small characters on screen.

Return to posts index

George DeFrates
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:07:06 pm

Thanks for the information. I will try this and hope it works well.

George

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]