FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu Ray - Exceeds Disc Capacity

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Drilling
Blu Ray - Exceeds Disc Capacity
on Feb 15, 2010 at 6:21:36 pm

I created a Blu Ray project consisting of SD video that I'm burning to Blu Ray so I can get all the video on a disc. There's too much video to fit on a DVD. Everything looks good and I'm doing the 'check project' feature to make sure there's no problem with the project. I corrected a few issues with orphan links, etc. - until it checks out with no issues. It basically says is using 24+G on the disc and indicates it will fit on a 25G blu ray disc. So I did the build, everything appears to have transcoded fine (using MPEG2), but then it errored saying disc capacity was exceeded. Now when I look at it it's saying my size is 25+G. I had everything set on automatic transcoding.

Is this just an miscalculation in Encore? Should I be transcoding using H.264 instead of MPEG2? It's just SD video, so I wasn't too concerned about H.264 or MPEG2, but I've read that H.264 gives better results - especially at lower bitrates????

Any thoughts on the best way to resolve? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Blu Ray - Exceeds Disc Capacity
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:46:17 pm

Have you specified an SD resolution in the transcode settings for the individual videos?

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Doug Drilling
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:10:35 am

No - I just have the transcode set on automatic. But I've continued to play with this and what's really odd is the sizes of the already transcoded sequences keep changing in Encore. I know they don't actually change since they're already transcoded, but for some reason Encore shows them as different sizes depending on when I look at them. For example, I have about 9 sequences from Premier which have been transcoded in Encore. One of them shows up as 5.25G size when I look at it in Encore. But I reverted a different sequence to the original video so I could re-transcode it using lower quality settings to reduce the size. When that was done the sequence that was already transcoded - and I didn't touch - was now showing up as 6.87G in Encore. What's up with that? And even though I reduced the total size of my transcoded project down by about 2G, Encore still said I had 25G of stuff to burn. That's just not right. Before I reduced one of the transcoded files by 2G Encore said I had 25G of stuff to burn. Now that I've shaved off 2G it should be saying I have 23G of stuff to burn and it should fit on a single layer bluray. We'll it doesn't - it still says I have 25G of stuff to burn. I just don't get it.... No matter how I play with transcoe settings, Encore still says I have 25G or more of stuff to burn, but I need to get it down to something like 23.8G to fit on a bluray.

Return to posts index

Doug Drilling
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:32:50 pm

Here's another odd tidbit. No matter what I changed as far as transocde settings in Encore, I couldn't get it to tell me that I has less than 24.99G of stuff to burn - even though when I totalled up the size of everthing it was more like 23G. Very frustrating. So I finally just tried the "build" again. This time it burned the disc - as it started to burn it said "writing xx of 23.3G". So at that point it had the space I'm using correct, but in the BUILD tab Encore was still telling me I needed 24.99G - which is too much to fit on a single layer Blu Ray disc - as it only actually has about 23.8G of available space to use.

Anyone have any thoughts on how Encore behaves with this? It's been quite a challenge to get this project to burn and it really shouldn't be that difficult. I'm just glad I'm not under a deadline like I've read in some posts from other folks :)

From this point on, it looks like it might be much easier for me to transcode using the Adobe Media Encoder 1st, then inport the already transcoded files into Encore. Doing that with 1 of my sequences is what eventually allowed me to finally complete a build on this project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]