FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore won't take m2v 24p footage

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Mills
Encore won't take m2v 24p footage
on Feb 15, 2010 at 3:01:44 pm

I shot some footage in 720/24p, edited in Avid and sent it through SS for proper DVD MPEG encoding. Encore CS3 does not recognize it as properly transcoded and so forces trancoding. On the flip side, I have other footage in the project shot in 1080i/60i, encoded in SS, and it has no trouble with that.

Any reason for this?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Encore won't take m2v 24p footage
on Feb 15, 2010 at 3:16:12 pm

When you encode the 24p footage in Squeeze, make sure to set closed GOPs and change the GOP I-frame distance to 12 frames instead of 15. Do not set 24 fps or progressive field order in Squeeze; SS will figure it out correctly and soft telecine your 24p footage.

Using these settings, I've imported SS MPEG2 24p files into En for the last 2 versions (CS3 and CS4) without En wanting to re-transcode.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Michael Mills
on Feb 15, 2010 at 4:41:42 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Worked perfectly!

Leap and the net will appear!

Return to posts index

Michael Mills
on Feb 15, 2010 at 7:33:24 pm

Jeff - Encore took the footage but is playing it much faster than normal, speeding it ahead of the audio. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:31:06 pm

Does it start out in sync and then get many seconds out by the end, or does it start out many seconds OOS?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Michael Mills
on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:37:51 pm

Jeff,

It starts out in sync. By the end the video is off about 40 seconds.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 15, 2010 at 11:14:21 pm

It's possible that Encore's preview is smurfing the playback because of the 24 fps vs. 30 fps thing.

Burn an RW disc and see if the disc plays normally in a hardware and/or software DVD player.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Michael Mills
on Feb 16, 2010 at 2:21:12 am

Jeff - it looks like Encore was smurfing the video. The video came out perfectly in DVD software and DVD disc tests! This is my first time using Encore and it's a fairly complex dual layer disc. I've been authoring for many years with Sonic tools, Reel DVD and DVDit Pro. After many years as a part of our work flow we've had to find another DVD solution because of known bugs that have gone unattended that affect quality DVD authoring. As for Adobe - I have to say, I am really impressed with the tool set, flexibility, and POWER of Encore! It's a PERFECT solution for our work flow.

Thanks again for your help!

Michael

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 16, 2010 at 2:39:27 am

You're welcome.

As much as I love Encore, I have to say that it, too, has its share of bugs. Based on your experience with Reel DVD and DVDit Pro, that shouldn't surprise you. Encore is built on the very same Sonic authorcore that those Sonic products are. Adobe has tweaked it over the years, but like its really-big-brother Scenarist and its sibling Sonic apps, Encore is all Sonic at its heart.

I only mention this because I don't want your initial success to make you think Encore is bullet-proof. It's a wonderful tool, but its project files can be fragile and you have to be careful about the way you handle its assets. Don't move or replace or modify *in any way* any Encore asset while Encore is closed. Use the Edit in Photoshop, Edit Original and Replace Asset commands from inside Encore when you need to tweak an asset that's already in your project.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Michael Mills
on Feb 16, 2010 at 2:29:18 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for the advice with Encore. It sounds like a fragile Sonic engine. Exactly what I experienced with the other two programs. Our biggest frustration with the other two programs was how they cut off the ends of the video files, not allowing them to fade out, and forcing us to let it re-encode spec files we had imported. In that regard, Encore is beautiful, faster, and the team here was impressed.

Thanks again for all of your help and pointers!

Michael

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:17:25 pm

You're welcome. :-)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved