FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore CS4 720P Blu-Ray Motion Menu Not Working

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Boice
Encore CS4 720P Blu-Ray Motion Menu Not Working
on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:04:44 pm

What am I missing? I feel like I've tried everything. On my motion menu I get nothing but black screen behind my buttons. I tried transcoding the .mov file prior to rendering the preview...I even tried importing an m2v file in its place (already transcoded) and I even tried swapping the aspect ratio around from 1280 x 720 square pixels to 960x720 DVCPro 1.3 thinking maybe that might have had something to do with it.

Is my Encore just screwed up or am I missing something very simple??

Thanks for your help!!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Encore CS4 720P Blu-Ray Motion Menu Not Working
on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:30:27 pm

Have you tried building a test disc (mount an image file, or burn to BD-RE) to confirm the final output is black?

Also, since you are creating a Blu-ray, you menus can be 1920x1080, even if you main content is 720p. So that is something else to try if you can't get the 720p to work. Also, you menus shouldn't be in 24p.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Jared Boice
on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:37:42 pm

Thanks Jon,
haven't purchased the Blu-Ray Burner yet. Was going to get a nice external one once I was certain that my workflow was on the money, no pun intended.

So an image file will obviously play regardless of having a Blu-Ray reader....hmmm didn't consider that. Will a 1280x720 Menu still play even though it can be 1920x1080? I'd feel weird if my menu looked better than the content.

Lastly, What do you mean that Menu's can't be in 24P. I've never heard that? Please explain! Maybe that's the answer?

Thanks again Jon

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:41:39 pm

I've had issues in Encore when trying to use 24p menus for DVD or Blu-ray. Also, on commercial discs, I've noticed they use interlaced menus as well, even when the main content is clearly 24p. If your menus are 24p, you might want to try 29.97.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Jared Boice
on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:45:39 pm

I will certainly give that a shot and see what happens Jon!!

Return to posts index

Jared Boice
on Feb 15, 2010 at 9:41:54 pm

OK, so I tried a few things and here is what I came up with...

I exported my original 1280x720 After Effects Motion Menu Background Video to 1920x1080 After Effects using the Animation Codec at 23.98 fps. Yes, I know it's upscaled resolution but a lot of the video used in the original was 1280x720 anyway and I'd feel kind of weird if my menu was higher resolution than the content! But that's just me.

I then used a Photoshop Menu Template for 1920x1080 with the sRGB Color Profile (not sure if this matters?) Most importantly, I included a Background Image even though it would later be replaced with video (from above)

This all APPEARS to work dandy. I didn't have to transcode anything either which is usually how I prefer to play in the Encore arena.

The 23.987 fps (progressive) Menu seemed to play fine for me in the preview, what problems did you experience with it that lead you to 29.976 interlaced? Do you think it won't translate to the Blu-Ray player properly?

Lastly, since the 1920x1080 menu is working for me, does that mean I need to be using the 1920x1080 project file in Encore (even though I'll be using primarily 720p content??)

SO MANY VARIABLES!!!!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:00:57 pm

Your Blu-ray project settings should be set to the resolution of your menus, not your main content. If you are using 1920x1080 menus, then set it to 1920x1080, though I don't recommend letting Encore do the upscaling, you should export a 1920x1080 file out of After Effects.

In the past we experienced errors during the build process with 24p menus, however you are welcome to try and see what happens. It is very easy to export a 29.97 file out of a 24p After Effects composition, as it can pull inter-frame data instead of just blending frames (except for pre-rendered footage of course).

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Jared Boice
on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:00:32 pm

Hey Jon, when you got error messages for trying 24p menus, what error message did you get?

I'm just curious cuz I was actually able to Author a Blu Ray Menu in 24p. I had made a simple test disc and it burned ok. But now that the project has grown, I'm getting "Photoshop File Error"

Ever seen that? I'm stumped

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:10:43 pm

I forgot to document the exact error message that I received on a 24p menu, however it was not for 720p, it was 1920x1080 if that makes any difference.

What is the exact error message you are getting?

Is it “..\Port\PhotoshopObject.cpp-568”?

If so, this is usually Encore telling you it is unable to render animated menu buttons, usually because of a 3rd party mpeg codec that is installed on the system that doesn't work with Encore.

Third party MPEG codecs usually come with media players and encoders such as VLC, FF Mpeg, Flask Mpeg, etc. They replace your default mpeg codec with one that is suppose to be better, however it often messes up Encore which requires the original to function properly.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Jared Boice
on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:23:29 pm

Yeah this is 1080p as well. But I'm thinking the culprit could be a codec issue as you specified. I believe the error message I keep getting is "Photoshop File Error - 1"

I'm convinced it has to be related to the motion menus as where else would a Photoshop error come into play?

So assuming the codec issue is the culprit, what's the simplest solution??

Thanks Jon!!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:27:30 pm

Well it may not be a codec issue, as you seem to have a different error than the one I specified.

What I would do is try and narrow down the problem. You can do this by turning off the "Animate Buttons" and see if that fixes it. If not, then you can try saving your project as a new one, then start removing menus one at a time until you find the culprit.

Once you identify the problem menu or setting, it will make solving it much easier.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]