FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD ghosting

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Nagy
DVD ghosting
on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:17:46 pm

A friend copied a 25 year old beta tape directly to dvd. The video quality was poor but I can live with that. I used encore to add in some menus and a little rom content. On the newly burned DVD there is ghosting during any quick movement. It appears on the footage but not where I used the footage for a motion menu. Because the file sizes for the timelines are huge and the project is larger than the disk size I'm wondering if the ghosting is because of encore having to compress it all down to fit the disk.

Also, what's the best way to covert a dvd to files for use during authoring etc. If I check the properties for the original it's just over 3 gigs. By the time I get it into and mg2 file its a little over 5.

If it can't be made smaller(with some decent quality) and the final compression is causing the ghosting I could split into two dvd's.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: DVD ghosting
on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:23:57 pm

How did you get the video off of the DVD? If you used a ripping program you should have been able to rip to M2V and WAV/AC3 files. The M2V from the rip shouldn't need to be re-transcoded in Encore, and it should be the same size (or a little smaller) that it was on the DVD.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:55:14 pm

There doesn't appear to be any way to change them on the program. It ends up being vob,bup,ifo files. Can you suggest a ripping program?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:15:48 pm

IMHO, DVD Decrypter is still the best there is (or ever was).

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:11:08 pm

So I get the same result and the help file links are all dead. How do I rip it to the files you reffered to?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:55:33 pm

Read here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/423743?tstart=0

Let me know if that helps.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Feb 6, 2010 at 5:18:41 am

Okay there's a line near the bottom that says "check of uncheck any or all of the video and audio streams that are listed" Well I unchecked them and then checked them again. Video is raw, audio is demux. So I rip and get 3 files. A video file, audio file and an IFO file. I imported the video and audio file into Encore. When I try to preview the video, it plays from the begining but if I scrub through at all the screen just goes black. Is this maybe just my underpowered laptop? Also the video file is there but I can't get any sound at all. You were right about the file size though. The audio and video file together is slightly smaller than the original.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 6, 2010 at 12:43:53 pm

The demuxed audio is AC3, right?

The AC3 audio from a long DVD will take several minutes to conform once it is imported into Encore. AC3 (or other compressed audio) won't play back until conforming is complete.

If you tried to scrub and play the timeline towards the middle or end of the clip, you may not have waited long enough.

What are the specs on your laptop?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Feb 6, 2010 at 5:07:06 pm

Yup it's AC3. My specs will make you laugh, or cry. It's an older laptop that I bought not expecting to take an interest in video and photo apps. I would have been much better off spending money on a new desktop rather than software but I didn't know any better at the time. Pentiun III , radian 9000, 1.5g ram. Completely inadequite I know but it has to do for now.

Return to posts index

Rick Nagy
on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:26:20 am

Well I just cannot get the video to show up past about the 3-1/2 minute mark. I've ripped it dividing it into 700 mgb sections and each section does the same thing. Plays about 3-1/2 minutes and goes black. Ripped it as one continious file and it does the same thing.I don't think it's my computer either. I've loaded far bigger files into encore and it previews fine. I've loaded the file and left it for litteraly hours, and it does the same thing. The audio is previewing though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]