FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Subtitle or subpicture too complex to build" error

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Schaller
"Subtitle or subpicture too complex to build" error
on Jan 31, 2010 at 1:35:09 am

Encore CS4, WinXP. This one cost me a week.

I've been wrestling with this, even attempting to delete cached files to the point where my original project wouldn't load. I rebuilt the project and all the navigation in a new project, and reimported all the subtitles, blocking them as before. I got the same error message on build. After seeking advice on the cow I tried narrowing my left and right text field margins in the subtitle import dialog to 100 and 620. Same error on build.

So I built a new test project, importing one subtitle track at a time without modification onto a new timeline with my project's video. That was OK on build. I modified 2 of the subtitles in the same way as before, making the typeface smaller. That build was rejected with the original error message. I returned the typeface size of that page to the original size. That built ok. I tried squeezing the text aspect for those two pages to get the blocking I wanted. That build was rejected. I returned the text aspect to normal but re-blocked the page to get the text to at least fit, even though it wasn't the layout I wanted. (I took some of line 1 in French and moved it to line 2.) That built. I am cutting my losses and letting the blocking go for that language, on that page.

Bottom line: it appears that you can't mix typeface sizes in subtitle tracks, at least in my single experience. I did find another post that claimed that making a larger outline on the text also can remove the error on build, but I found that out later, so didn't get to test it.

I hope this helps others with this error message.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: "Subtitle or subpicture too complex to build" error
on Jan 14, 2011 at 5:43:14 am

I just came across this post after searching for a solution to the "too complex" subtitle error in Encore CS5. I've already been at this for days trying to fix it, but it's been taking a while to narrow down the subtitle causing the issue since it's a massive 30 timeline project of almost 5 hours of content (dual layer DVD).

Thank you for the little tip that you gave at the end of increasing the outline. After finally narrowing the problem down to a specific timeline, I selected all the subtitles at once, changed the Stroke from 'Medium' to 'Bold', tried building again with SUCCESS.

If only I had found this out before deleting ALL the subtitles from all 30 timelines trying to find the problematic one. Luckily I exported each as text script before deleting... but that still didn't save the formating!

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jan 14, 2011 at 5:51:35 am

I spoke too soon... I just encountered another problematic timeline, and increasing the stroke from 'Medium' to 'Bold' did not fix the error. However, changing it to 'Heavy' DID fix the problem. Hopefully I don't encounter a timeline that even the 'Heavy' stroke can't fix.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:09:44 am

I hoped it wouldn't happen... but it did. I just ran into a timeline that even the heavy stroke caused the error message.

I changed the font from Tahoma to Verdana and changed the stroke back to medium... now it works!

So, for anyone that comes across this thread on a google search, there are plenty of solutions for you to try.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Tim Schaller
on Jan 15, 2011 at 3:43:36 am

Interesting workarounds, Jon.
I found that changing my margins to 100 and 620 before import fixed most of my problems. The one area that needed more width on the text lines I made separate text files to import just that section in each language, and used the default margins for those titles. I also made all spelling corrections within my scripts, because I found Encore would sometimes ignore spelling corrections made in the program that looked fine in the interface, but the old misspellings would come back after building and burning to disk.

Glad you could get around it one way or another...

Tim

Return to posts index

Efisio Scanu
on May 25, 2011 at 1:28:32 pm

You saved my life...

Same problems, lost 3 days trying to figure them out.
I selected all the subtitles, changed the stroke from light to bold, and now it's burning.

It is a real shame that a good software like encore has so many bugs, especially of this stupid kind.
In making the dvd for this movie I spent 3 days building it and 5 days resolving bugs...

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Corey Haine
on Sep 3, 2011 at 11:40:21 am

In case someone needs help on this... I changed all the fonts to bold, Sz: 20 Arial. That did it.

Return to posts index

Thiago Ming
on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:47:05 pm

Hi everybody, i've just signed in, this foruns allways helps me a lot so i decided to joy.

I had many problems with subltitles on En, and i\ve just fixed a similar problem like that.

Try to select your subtitle track and duplicate it on edit menu (or apple + D)

Remove the old tracks and try to build a DVD folder.

Hope it fix the problem.

Regards

Return to posts index

Prashant Savalia
on Jan 5, 2012 at 9:27:31 am

I had the same issue as the original case. I changed the stroke to none and it finally started building. Thank god too. I needed to have this project in the same day...TODAY! Lol.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]