FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore CS4 - Aspect Ratio not supported by DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Drilling
Encore CS4 - Aspect Ratio not supported by DVD
on Jan 23, 2010 at 4:53:43 pm

I'm a fairly new user to Encore CS4. I recently created a Bluray project which I started in Premier and used Dynamic Link to go to Encore. I had few issues, but was able to successfully burn a Bluray disc from Encore - and it looks great!

Now I have some folks who don't have Bluray players yet so I'm trying to burn a DVD from the same project. The "manual" says you can do that - that way you don't have to recreate an entire project of the same menus, etc. just to output to a different media.

This is where I'm really stumped. No matter what I've tried I keep getting the following error when I try to build:

PGD "Sequence 01/Band.prproj" has an error at 88.8888s. The aspect ratio of this file is not supported by DVD. - PGC info: Sequence 01/Band.prproj =Bpgc, time=88.8888s.

I've look thru forums and helps but can't see to find anything that will resolve this error.

Some of the things I've tried include:

1. selecting the "interpret footage as SD NTSC Widescreen" option
2. All transcoding is set to automatic
3. Reverting to the original video and transcoding again
4. I've copied the entire project to a new name and went thru the transcode process again for that copy.

The timeline footage currently shows as being transcoded for DVD in the project window - 4.69GB. The asset for the footage I'm guessing refers to the original Premier sequence. It still shows the orignal size of 1920x1080, but it has been transcoded to DVD - MPEG2 at 720.

I'm just clueless and out of ideas and Encore isn't really much help giving more clues. I've come across some other "bugs" in Encore - which really bothers me - so I'm wondering is this another "bug" that you need to know a trick to work around or do I legitimately have some not set correctly in my project? And if I don't have something set correctly, why on earth can't Encore tell me what it is when I run the "check project" options - that tells me everyhing is good :)

Any ideas to help resolve this would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Doug Drilling
Re: Encore CS4 - Aspect Ratio not supported by DVD
on Jan 24, 2010 at 5:13:18 pm

I did a little more "testing". I basically started from scratch - taking the project I have in Preimier and doing another Dynamic Link to Encore - this time I indicated I wanted to create a DVD project in Encore. I used the same transcode setting for the DVD as listed in my previous post. Transcoding went fine and I was able to successfully burn a DVD!!!! But with only 1 very simple menu. Then I started adding things a little a time - doing test burns along the way. Things went fine until I added a button that had a special background layer. Then I started getting the aspect ratio error again. Is this something you can't use on a DVD??? When you hover over the button an image shows up in the button (new layer).

Anyway, the problem is even when I remove these I'm still getting the aspect ratio error. I've basically reverted back to something that was just working, but Encore keeps giving me the aspect ratio error. Very frustrating. So I may need to start from scratch - again.

Any suggestions before I pull out all my hair :)

Return to posts index

Doug Drilling
Re: Encore CS4 - Aspect Ratio not supported by DVD
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:20:01 pm

This is probably my final post on this topic as I was finally able to successfully build a DVD! However, I have concluded that I have absolutely no clue why I'm getting this aspect ration error from Encore. I basically tried doing the project from scratch. I started from Preimier using Dynamic Link and set hte project up as a DVD project - not Bluray. Then I started to basically rebuild menus again. I would do test builds along the way to find out if anything I'm doing would cause the aspet ratio error before I spent too much time. During my 1st attempt I did start getting the aspect ratio error again and had to abort that attempt as I could not do anything to get rid of the error once I started getting it. And I have no idea what I did to trigger this error again.

On my next attempt I just created a DVD project in Encore from scratch and imported my video which had already been transcoded. I brought in the chapter points and everything. But the chapter point names were all gone so I spent a lot of time going thru renaming them all again. There were also a lot of duplicate chapter points which I had to remove. Not sure how those all got there. Then I tried reusing menus I had already created from a previous version of the project which was getting the aspect ratio error. I was trying to save time so I didn't have to totally rebuild my menus again. I basically openned the project which was failing due to the aspect ratio error and added the existing menus to the Library. Then I opened the new project and was able to add these menus from the Library. So at least I had the basic structure for the menus. But it still took a considerable amount of time to reset all the links, etc. on each menu. When this was all do I held my breath and tried to build. It was successfull!!!! And I have absolutely no idea why. I was basically using all the same assests (video, menus) from the project that was giving me the aspect ratio error. Yet in this project all those assests worked fine and I was able to complete the build.

I may contact Adobe to try to get more information, but I suspect they don't really care. I really think this is some kind of bug in Encore - especially since I've found a few more things that just don't work (link saving presets). Hopefully Adobe will be releasing updates to correct some of these. This project took much longer to complete that it should of taken.

If anyone has any suggestions based on my experience, I'd love to hear any insights you might have. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]