<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Nicol
1920x1080 footage, thin black bars at side in Encore
on Jan 19, 2010 at 6:23:39 am

I have created footage in After Effects using the following settings:

1920x1080
25fps
Square pixels

After exporting my After Effects composition (Quicktime, MPEG4), I created a new Encore Blu-Ray project (PAL, 1920x1080) and imported my footage.

I then created a new timeline for my footage.

However, the timeline shows two black bars to the left and right of my footage. They are thin bars, about 25px wide.

I tried importing a 1440x1080 asset (again created in After Effects) with the same result.

This is the first time I have worked with a Blu-Ray project in Encore, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I don't expect so - I would think 1920x1080 footage would 100% fill a 1920x1080 timeline?

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when viewing my timeline in Encore in the 'monitor' window, even when zoomed in 100% the timeline seems to measure 1050x576, NOT 1920x1080. Again, I'm unsure if this is normal behaviour.

Does the problem I am having sound familiar to anyone?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Nicol
Re: 1920x1080 footage, thin black bars at side in Encore
on Jan 20, 2010 at 1:48:48 am

Updating Encore to 4.0.1 fixed it :)

Duh, should have thought of that to begin with.

My footage no fills the timeline, and the timeline when zoomed to 100% is 1920x1080, not 1050x576.

Return to posts index

Rod ONeill
on Feb 6, 2011 at 1:37:26 pm

Are you sure you didn't do anything else? I'm running Encore CS5 (v5.0) and am having the same issue when bringing my 1920x1080 Square Pixel edit in as a DVD project, it ends up with bars on the left and right as you described.

I've tried googling for hours with no luck - can you or anyone else explain whats happening and a possible fix?

Return to posts index

Nick Gay
on Mar 29, 2011 at 4:00:13 pm

I'm also having the same issue in CS5 (5.0)

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 29, 2011 at 4:28:28 pm

Adobe switched from using the Production Aperture to the Clean Aperture starting in CS4. According to the BBC (and others), that was the technically accurate thing to do.

More info:
ProVideo Coalition.com: Creating Motion Graphics by Chris & Trish Meyer

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Anthony DeJohn
on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:02:23 pm

when you export out of premiere choose mpeg2-dvd. Then click on the "video" tab and change the pixel aspect ratio to standard 4:3.. This is the fix i use.. I wish there was a way to make an enhanced widescreen dvd instead of this crappy work around.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:42:28 pm

You don't need the "crappy workaround". Just crop 12-14 pixels off the top and bottom in the Export Settings dialog and you'll make the black bars go away. This results in a widescreen video that completely fills the frame.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anthony DeJohn
on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:55:24 pm

Yeah, but if you're exporting to an MPEG2-DVD that means you're exporting to 720x480. Just to clarify, so you propose reducing the vertical height of your inital composition/sequence in Premiere by 12-14 pixels; thus allowing a perfect fit when you render to MPEG2-DVD?

I just don't get why Adobe can't make this cut and dry. I mean, HD widescreen has been around a while now. I think Adobe is just trying to tell us to live with the vertical black bars. It's hardly noticable on a widescreen tv anyways, but for a perfectionist I find it frustrating.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:19:29 am

Read my response to you again, carefully. Then, if you get it working, read my post from Mar. 29, 2011 in this thread for background.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anthony DeJohn
on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:37:34 am

Ok.. I get that, but most people don't want to upscale. The default MPEG2-DVD export is 720x480 (we all know this!) and what you're saying is that if you change the export resolution to 720x468 that will solve the pillarbox issue created by downscaling an HD source for SD dvd distribution. However, Encore is merely scaling your footage up which reduces the quality of your image. I'm not willing to do that and I don't consider it a viable option. This makes me wonder though, if instead of cropping you add 12px to the height if it would fill the screen; this would eliminate the upscale to the constrained SD/480px.

Return to posts index

Anthony DeJohn
on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:46:34 am

Scrap that idea because in Premiere CS5 if you use the MPEG2-DVD export option you cannot alter the export resolution; you must use 720x480 and this cannot be changed!

I think what you're proposing is that you export a 1920x1080 version from Premiere and import that into Encore. Once in encore you can adjust the height by 10-12px as you proposed and transcode. But, any solution to this issue that requires upscaling pixels I'd recommend staying away from.

Return to posts index

Anthony DeJohn
on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:58:13 am

Clean aperture:

E.4.1 The bandwidth limitation of an analog signal (pre- and post-filtering) can introduce transient ringing effects which intrude into the active picture area. Also, multiple digital blanking operations in an analog-digital-analog environment can increase transient ringing effects.
Furthermore, cascaded spatial filtering and/or techniques for handling the horizontal and vertical edges of the picture (associated with complex digital processing in post-production) can introduce transient disturbances at the picture boundaries, both horizontally and vertically. It is not possible to impose any bounds on the number of cascaded digital processes which might be encountered in the practical post-production system. Hence, recognizing the reality of those picture edge transient effects, the definition of a system design guideline is introduced in the form of a subjectively artifact-free area, called clean aperture.

E.4.2 The clean aperture defines an area within which picture information is subjectively uncontaminated by all edge transient distortions.
The clean aperture should be as wide as is needed to accommodate cascaded digital manipulations of the picture. Computer simulations have shown that a transient effect area defined by 16 samples on each side and 9 lines at both top and bottom within the digital production aperture, would represent an acceptable (and practical) worst-case level of protection in allowing two-dimensional transient ringing to settle below a subjectively acceptable level.

E.4.3 This gives rise to a clean aperture of 1888 horizontal active pixels by 1062 active lines whose quality is guaranteed for final release.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 11, 2011 at 1:08:30 am

Actually, in the Premiere Pro Export Settings dialog, you're cropping the pixels off of the 1920x1080 source image, which has to be downscaled anyway. So the end result after cropping is just as high quality as it would have been before cropping.

Make sense?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anthony DeJohn
on Oct 11, 2011 at 1:23:32 am

Ahh, I see.. I wasn't familiar with cropping in the export.. I just realized there's actually a crop function on the left hand side (in the export popup window) right under the tab where you can preview the source and output.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Dec 16, 2011 at 3:02:31 pm

I have been banging my head on the wall with this same issue for a few days... I did read somewhere else about using cropping in the export window to achieve the correct proportions- 12 pixels off the top and bottom.

The first time I exported (MPEG2-DVD) Premiere output a file that was perfect and looked correct in Encore. Of course, the client wanted a change after that version. After making the changes I exported again with the exact same settings but Premiere seemed to "ignore" my cropping. The output file (.m2v) is rendered as if the crop setting were not there... and the "bars" appear in the Encore preview and on the burned disc. argh!

It have "Use Maximum Render Quality" checked and I wonder if that is screwing it up... by why would it?

I am starting with .mts files at 1920x1080... anyone have wisdom on where I am going wrong?

Many Thanks,
Jeff Schaap

Return to posts index

Anthony DeJohn
on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:35:06 pm

The very very first thing I would try is removing any crop settings and then render it. Having the "render at maximum depth" should be selected as it has no effect on crop. What do you get after you render without a crop? Then do another render with the crop settings at 14px total (or so) and compare the two.

The alternative is to just use the default and not worry about the two thin pillars on the left and right; after all this is now the standard.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:22:26 pm

I got it... the trick was to change Pixel Aspect Ratio from "Automatic (based on source)" to Widescreen (1.212). I guess that makes sense since the original is square pixels and the target is widescreen aspect... right?

It definitely made the difference. I rendered one with it on automatic and one with it on widescreen and the ws once worked properly.

Hope this helps anyone else facing this same frustrating issue.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Evan Harter
on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:04:01 am

If I go and crop 12 pixels off the top and 12 off the bottom, which seems to get rid of the black bars on the Left and Right sides in the output preview, but not in the main monitor. I then transcode the footage and it makes the bars on the left and right bigger and adds bars to the top and bottom on the monitor. Is there something I'm missing? Other people seem to get cropping to work.

Thanks,
Evan

Return to posts index

Nicholas Costaras
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:26:30 pm

Just go to File>Edit quality presets

And create a template that will scale and fill. Save the template and use it to transcode your file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]