FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buttons

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Yowell
Buttons
on Jan 3, 2010 at 5:54:21 am

I am building a DVD for the first time using Encore CS3. Everything is working well except for the buttons. I have several buttons that I have included on the Main Menu page. However, the buttons are a bit too large. Is there a way that I can adjust the size of these buttons using numbers so that I can be sure that all of the buttons are exactly the same size? Also, is there a place where I can see where elements are placed by x and y coordinates? Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to your response.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Buttons
on Jan 3, 2010 at 2:34:27 pm

For buttons that need to be exactly the same size, I create the first button, then duplicate it.

See if View | New Guide, Object | Align and Object | Distribute give you the positioning precision you seek.

If these methods aren't workable for you, then it's off to Photoshop! :-)

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

David Yowell
on Jan 3, 2010 at 4:03:55 pm

Thanks for your response, Jeff. I will try to use the distribute function and see if that will help to place items more accurately. As far as copying a pasting a button, I tried that, but the buttons did not function. Is there something else that I need to do?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2010 at 4:08:28 pm

I just use the Duplicate function (Ctrl+D), or I Alt+Drag a button to duplicate it.

You need to reset the link for the duplicated button(s).

-Jeff

Return to posts index

David Yowell
on Jan 3, 2010 at 4:44:06 pm

Thanks again, Jeff. I will try to duplicate the way that you suggested. Now I have another problem. I just finished my first DVD build and it looked like it came out just right when I inserted the DVD into the computer. The Main Menu screen came up just like I wanted. When I clicked on one of the buttons to view a short video clip, it played the clip in Windows Media Player. Can you tell me why it would do this. When I was putting the DVD together in Encore, I would preview it and it seemed to run just fine. I can't find anything that I've missed, but I know there must be something. The DVD that I'm putting together is going to be used in computers only, so I don't know if there's something that I need to do for that or if that's making it run in Windows Media Player. Thanks Jeff and I'll wait to hear back from you.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2010 at 5:16:05 pm

Do you have a software DVD player installed?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

David Yowell
on Jan 3, 2010 at 5:24:37 pm

I don't know what a Software DVD Player is. Do you mean that you have to have some special DVD Player installed in order to do what I want to do? If that's true, is there any workaround that I can use to make the DVD the way I want to?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2010 at 6:30:43 pm

A software DVD player is something like PowerDVD or WinDVD. If you don't have one of those installed, then Windows Media Player becomes the default player for DVDs.

[David Yowell] "when I inserted the DVD into the computer. The Main Menu screen came up just like I wanted."

When you did that, what program was Windows using to show you the menu?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

David Yowell
on Jan 3, 2010 at 8:44:35 pm

When i inserted the DVD, the main screen of my project came up with no controls, other than the buttons that I had placed on the screen. That is exactly what I wanted, only I thought that there would be some type of control panel on the bottom. When I pressed one of the buttons, that's when it went to WMP. Then, when it finished playing that particular video, I had to start the DVD up again in order to go to another video. I have viewed the videos on Lynda.com and it looked like I would be able to do what I'm attempting. I'm sorry to have to ask such beginners questions, but this is my first attempt to try and make my own DVD for my company

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2010 at 8:58:43 pm

[David Yowell] "When i inserted the DVD, the main screen of my project came up with no controls"

What was showing in the titlebar of the window that surrounded your main screen?

What operating system are you using?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

David Yowell
on Jan 3, 2010 at 9:54:01 pm

When I open the main screen there is no title bar and no controls at all. I am using Windows 7. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2010 at 10:02:23 pm

[David Yowell] "When I open the main screen there is no title bar and no controls at all. I am using Windows 7. Any thoughts?"

Yes. Unless you, and your audience, have a software DVD player installed, there is no way to accurately predict what the audience will see when your DVD is inserted.

Variables include, but are not limited to, operating system, installed codecs, installed multimedia players. For example, on Windows XP, the DVD won't play at all unless a software DVD player is installed (or a system-level MPEG2 decoder).

I don't use Windows 7, so I can't tell you if what you're seeing is normal or not. I have no idea how the new Windows Media Foundation affects DVDs.

What happens when you insert a commercial DVD?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Paul Benson
on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:12:25 pm

What you are experiencing is certainly strange. The fact that your menu shows up implies there is a player, but it should not be launching a separate WMP.

When the menu is showing, open up your Task Manager and look in the Applications tab. Let us know what app it says is displaying the menu screen.

What does this disk do in a normal DVD player?

Pauley

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]