FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using an Icon as a Highlight

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Hatch
Using an Icon as a Highlight
on Dec 16, 2009 at 2:38:06 pm

I have created a motion menu using After Effects CS4 and have imported into Encore CS4 using the Dynamic Link function. Everything is working fine except for the highlight set. I am using an icon of a baseball as my highlight to indicate which button the cursor is selecting. I have followed the proper naming conventions outlined by Adobe; all I see is a solid white dot and no red seems.

Any suggestions?

Thx

Dave Hatch

Senior Producer

HUGE iDEAS Video Production

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Using an Icon as a Highlight
on Dec 16, 2009 at 3:16:06 pm

Per the DVD spec (and not just Encore), a button highlight is a 2-bit, 4-color graphic. You can't use a normal image as a highlight.

To get what you want, you need to fool the audience. Set up a series of duplicate menus and use the Auto-activate property of the buttons.

The first menu would have the baseball graphic showing next to the first button. Link that to whatever asset or chapter is appropriate.

The next button (as determined by the button routing setup) should link to a second menu that is a duplicate of the first menu. When the audience navigates to the next button using the arrow keys on the DVD player remote control, the auto-activate feature takes them to the duplicate menu, where the baseball is now shown next to the second button. On this menu, the second button now links to whatever asset or chapter is appropriate.

And so on. Make sure you use a hand-drawn flowchart to help you set up this complicated navigation scheme, or you will easily get lost.

Caveat: although this technique works on hardware DVD players, it won't work on software DVD players when the mouse is used to navigate instead of the cursor on the remote control.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Dave Hatch
Re: Using an Icon as a Highlight
on Dec 16, 2009 at 3:45:22 pm

Thanks Jeff
I'll give this a try

Cheers

DH

Dave Hatch

Senior Producer