FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unusual sound issue - random 1/4 second phantom audio in middle of timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Szalapski
Unusual sound issue - random 1/4 second phantom audio in middle of timeline
on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:59:01 pm

What's this? An hour-long video with a phantom bit of audio playing for no discernable reason? Why yes!

I have experienced this issue somewhat altered on two separate and quite different projects.

Project 1:
The issue cropped up in a dynamically linked Premiere sequence. This disc had a menu and seven smaller videos (also dynamically linked sequences from Premiere).
Right in the middle of the timeline, not at an edit point or a chapter point, a phantom bit of audio about 0.25-0.5 seconds long plays. The video plays as normal and everything else in the entire hour-long timeline is normal. Just for one split second, you hear a song. The sound clip is in one of the other videos in the project. However, the audio file from which the clip came isn't even in the Premiere project that was linked in that timeline. Also, the original Premiere file does not have this sound issue, but the issue plays in Encore and on the burned disc.
I changed one or two things in the Premiere timeline and it went away, but a different part of the sound file (or another sound file from one of the other sequences, it's so short it's hard to tell) popped up somewhere else in the project at a different point in the timeline.
In the end, I had to render the final timeline as an MPEG-2 with the Adobe Media Encoder. All the other dynamically linked files in the project were fine and didn't have that problem.

I thought the issue was a one-off because of the (only slightly) complicated nature of the project.
But then came yesterday and

Project 2:
The only content on the DVD (besides some DVD-ROM files) was a timeline that was an Adobe Dynamic Link to a Premiere sequence. The timeline is set to be first play. The end action is to stop.
No chapters.
This would appear to be a very simple project with little chance of an error. However, once again, in the middle of the timeline (again not at an edit point) there is a 0.25-0.5 second clip of audio from earlier in the timeline. The video plays as normal and everything else in the entire 1/2 hour long project is normal. Again, the original Premiere file does not have this sound issue. But the issue is in Encore and the burned disc.
Reverting to the original (i.e. non-transcoded file) does not help as the timeline still plays with the phantom audio.
I went back to the Premiere file and removed a couple seconds of black video from the beginning of the timeline, went back to Encore, reverted to original again and everything sounds fine.

We have been doing projects like this for a while here and have never encountered issues like this before. Other projects we do now don't do this. It has just happened these two times.

Any suggestions as to why?

The system I am running is Windows Vista Business 64-bit Service Pack 2, Dual Intel Xeon X5460 3.17 Ghz dual Quad core processors, 16 GB RAM with AJA Xena 2Ke
I use the Adobe CS4 Production Suite

Thanks.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Unusual sound issue - random 1/4 second phantom audio in middle of timeline
on Dec 8, 2009 at 7:54:43 pm

I think you clearly determined it is an issue with the Premiere Dynamic Link function. I don't feel it is ready for prime time and would advise against using it.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Unusual sound issue - random 1/4 second phantom audio in middle of timeline
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:00:37 pm

It (usually) saves time and the issue happens so rarely, that I suspect we shan't stop using the dynamic link functionality. I was just wondering if this was a known issue and if there was any way to try to ensure it doesn't do this. We've done dozens of projects like project 2 and this is the first time we've seen this type of issue happen.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]