FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need button help ASAP!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Dunning
Need button help ASAP!
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:47:42 am

I have checked the button flow and navigation and it all LOOKS right, but when I preview, no buttons highlight. I've checked to make sure that's selected, and it is. NONE of my seven(all chapter links) buttons do ANYTHING! the buttons are over a video background, and I have done the check before building the disc, and no errors come up. HELP! Project over due and client is getting impatient!lol

Thanks for any advice,
Chad

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Need button help ASAP!
on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:47:33 pm

Can you post a screenshot of your Flowchart panel, the Layers panel for the menu, and the Properties panel for a selected button all in view?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Chad Dunning
on Dec 7, 2009 at 8:37:01 pm

I hope that's right. Obviously I'm rookie at this. I really appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 7, 2009 at 9:04:47 pm

Great screenshot, thanks. :-)

The first thing to do is remove all of the overrides. Not just for the buttons, but anywhere in your project. You don't need them, and as you have discovered, they can seriously mess up your navigation. Set them all to "Not Set".

That should fix your navigation. If you still have problems after deleting all of the overrides, please post another screenshot exactly like this one and I'll have a look.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Chad Dunning
on Dec 7, 2009 at 9:18:14 pm

As Far as i know I reset all the overides to not set. I still am getting no functionality at all with the buttons. No highlight in the preview, i can't use the directional buttons in the preview screen to navigate between them. You have no idea how helpful your being. I was, for like 2 day, just fumbling around this program.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 7, 2009 at 10:16:00 pm

That's odd. Can you post a screenshot of the app when you're trying to preview? Thanks.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Chad Dunning
on Dec 7, 2009 at 10:27:27 pm

So i rendered it first, and got the first image above and as I was embedding that image i let the menu loop(like i set it to do. one of the only things thats gone right!) and then the bottom button became highlighted like so:

I've let it loop a few times now and that bottom button is still highlighted, but i can't navigate to any other buttons, nor can i select any button. NOt even the one highlighted... So glad your stickin through this with me!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 7, 2009 at 10:52:57 pm

Check for overlapping buttons. Click the "Show Button Routing" button in the Menu Viewer and then check for overlapping bounding boxes. Like so:

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Chad Dunning
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:07:43 pm

Unfortunately, no. None of the buttons are overlapping. I even repositioned them just to make sure there was significant space around each button. Rendered. Nothin. Still getting that bottom button that highlights after the first loop. This might be a dumb question that I probably should have approached earlier, but do i have to actually insert the menu into the timeline? Like before the edited video? And I'm not sure if this was a good idea or not, but in the preview screen, i also noticed the only button I COULD use was the "toggle subtitle display" button, so, i pressed it. I'm sorry I was excited for a functional button! Anyway, it jumped to a part in the video, and when i went back to menu, i still couldn't click anything, but now I can't click said toggle button now either... Just so you know, Your the man!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:41:11 pm

OK. It looked to me like the Play All and the Behind the Scenes buttons were close enough to be overlapping.

Have you modified the automatic button routing in any way?

I notice that you've got 3 text layers in the menu that either aren't showing up or are overlaying button text layers. Delete the extra text layers.

More screenshots:
The Menu Viewer with the Selected button state active
The Menu Viewer with Show Button Routing selected
The Project panel.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Chad Dunning
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:01:05 am

Ok, So I deleted all the extra text layers. rendered, no good. After i did that and saved i highlighetd all buttons seen here:

And after selecting them I turned the automatic routing back on. I had tried it before with automatic obviously with no prevail, and then When I contacted you, I had manually set the routing. AS of now though, we are automatic. Here's the image of the routing map on as well as the "show selected subpicture" button on.

and lastly the project panel.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:14:43 am

Thanks for the screenshots.

What are you using as the video for your button transitions?

This is just a WAG, but what happens if you delete all of the button transitions?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Chad Dunning
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:18:11 am

I actually don't have anything set for a button transition. should I find a little clip or something to stick in there?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 8, 2009 at 1:07:49 am

Your Flowchart screenshot shows button transitions. See the circled area in the picture below.

Check the Transition tab of each of your buttons' Properties sheets.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Chad Dunning
on Dec 8, 2009 at 1:31:41 am

I took out what was the transitions for the clips. Now the lines for the flow chart are all just moving from the menu to the clips it looks like. I'm trying it now with a little clip from the extra film i had. And even with that transition clip i'm gettin no response. any other ideas. I'll take 'em as fast as you can dish 'em out!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:45:05 pm

My suggestion was to remove the transitions completely, and then test again.

If removing the transitions doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas. The setup you have shown me should work.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Chad Dunning
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:54:26 pm

Well, I do appreciate the help you've given me. Do you know of, or have a link to a good video tutorial of how to make a simple menu with Just a video background and some buttons? I'm gonna start from scratch and see if I skipped a step, or did something incorectly along the way. I made the chapters in premiere when I edited the video. Is that wrong? And i made the first menu in encore. Should I have made it in Photoshop instead? Thanks again

Chad

Return to posts index

Chad Dunning
on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:01:26 pm

I think i figured it out starting from scratch. I did everything the same(granted i did save after every step to make sure the buttons kept working). But once i linked the background video to the menu we were still good. then i tried linking the same avi file for the backgroud sound, encore no likey! so i made a seperate audio file and I'm golden now! Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:20:34 pm

You're welcome. :-)

Glad you got it sorted.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]