FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which preset to use?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Thomas
Which preset to use?
on Nov 22, 2009 at 6:14:51 am

I am burning blurays. I am frustrated that my source looks a bit better than my bluray. The source is mp4, 1280 X 720(1.0), 29fps. I can find no preset in Encore to match. If I go with 1280 X 720 I must use 23 fps. If I go with 29 fps I must use 720 X 480. I can burn DL if I choose. How should I configure encore to get the best picture quality.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Which preset to use?
on Nov 22, 2009 at 12:55:30 pm

To use Encore for creating a BD from your footage, you'll have to choose between changing the frame rate of your source footage, or changing the frame size.

Some experimenting is in order. What version of Encore do you have?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Anthony Thomas
on Nov 22, 2009 at 3:07:21 pm

Currently, CS4. I have been using Encore, non-professionally, since CS3.

TONY T

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Nov 22, 2009 at 3:12:41 pm

OK. If you watch my tutorial, CS4 HD to SD, then you'll get an idea of how to downscale the HD footage to SD using PrCS4.

If you decide to experiment with upscaling your 720p30 footage to 1080p30 using Pr, just be sure to check the Maximum Render Quality setting on the Export Settings screen.

MRQ takes a long time, so I suggest testing with only a very short segment of your video.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anthony Thomas
on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:00:13 am

When premiere cs4 interfaces with the media encoder it always comes into the media encoder with bogus source library for my movies. It is trying to use Documents and Settings, etc.. Premiere clearly understands that my input files are on an H drive in a folder. Am I missing a setting here. I can use the media encoder directly.

TONY T

Return to posts index

Anthony Thomas
on Nov 27, 2009 at 3:58:24 pm

Technical difficulties aside. Jeff your tutorial focuses on transcoding mp4 to SD. For me that would be mp4 to HD, correct? Or mp4 to SD and then SD to HD. Any packeage video settings that might help mp4 to HD: 2 VBR passes?, M frames and N frames settings.

Thanks

TONY T

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Nov 27, 2009 at 6:16:01 pm

Since your source footage isn't a supported BD frame size/frame rate combination, you have to change one or the other, as you already know. Given a choice, I would personally keep the frame rate the same and change the frame size. The HD to SD (720x480) method may produce acceptable results for you, and since that is the SD DVD frame size, you would get a finished product at a lower cost per disc and with increased audience compatibility because you'd be making a DVD instead of a BD.

If you want to stay in the HD world and create a BD, then I would create 1920x1080 output at 30 fps. Choosing interlaced or progressive should be based on your source footage. 2-pass VBR would be fine, but you may be get good results using VBR 1-pass. At 30 fps, I'd stick with 3 M frames and 15 N frames. Again, please don't forget to select Use Maximum Render Quality. :-)

As for the "technical issues", be aware that when Pr sends your sequence to the AME, the AME creates a new temporary copy of your Pr project so that it can encode while you can go back to your real project and continue to work. The AME encodes from the temporary copy of your project.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]