FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Video Won't Scale to SD TV

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Wiles
HD Video Won't Scale to SD TV
on Nov 22, 2009 at 3:14:32 am

Hi,

I have an HD project (1920 x 1080) and when I export it to dvd from Encore and play it back on a standard def television, it is not scaling to fit the screen. You see a zoomed in version.

How do I correct this problem? If I scale it down to 720x480, then it won't play full screen on an HD television.

I'm up against the wall and have a close deadline! Thanks for your time and help.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: HD Video Won't Scale to SD TV
on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:13:56 am

Are you trying to make an SD DVD or a Blu-ray disc? If DVD, then 720x480 is the only choice you have, because that's the DVD frame size. If it's 720x480 widescreen (1.21 PAR), then an HDTV will upscale the image to fit the full HDTV frame, and an SD TV will show the frame letterboxed.

All of the above depends on the particular DVD player being set up correctly.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Jeremy Wiles
on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:23:19 am

Thanks for your advice.

Do you have any experience with DVD players not being setup correctly to handle the 720x480 widescreen (1.21 PAR)? I'm just wondering if I should play it safe and go with 720x480 if alot of the DVD players won't scale it properly. Do you have a wild guess of how many DVD players in 100 would not scale the widescreen version properly? What would you do?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Nov 22, 2009 at 1:32:19 pm

*Every* hardware DVD player will scale it correctly if the owner of the player has set it up to match the type of TV they're using. How many DVD player owners have it set up correctly? I don't know - how many VCR owners still have the blinking "12:00" showing on the display? :-)

You also have to deal with HDTV owners viewing properly-scaled 4:3 video content improperly distorted because they've set the display aspect ratio of their TV wrong. You have absolutely no control over the audience's DVD player set-up and their TV PAR settings.

As I said: for standard def DVD there is only one frame size choice for NTSC and that is 720x480. Whether that footage has a PAR of 0.9 (standard 4:3) or 1.2 (widescreen 16:9) depends on your source footage and how you export it from your editing program. These days, with all new TVs on store shelves being 16:9 HDTVs, personally I'd edit my 4:3 SD footage in a 16:9 SD sequence so that it was permanently pillar-boxed and couldn't be stretched by the audience choosing the wrong PAR on the TV. Reference the Star Trek Original Series BD episodes; that's what Paramount did.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]