FORUMS: list search recent posts

forced transcoding

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
forced transcoding
on Nov 17, 2009 at 8:31:26 pm

I noticed after a search that I'm not the only one to have this experience:

I made fully DVD-compliant files (using Apple Compressor) and moved them to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0 on a PC. Encore then forced a transcode on my .m2V file at least.

Why?

Can I do anything about it?

Is it costing me image quality?

I don't want to switch to Apple DVDSP but if I have to, I have to.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: forced transcoding
on Nov 17, 2009 at 8:59:58 pm

Likely there is a setting in Compressor that Encore doesn't like. One possibility is that Compressor allows encoding with open GOPs, which En doesn't (usually) like. I'm not a Mac guy, so I can't examine the range of MPEG encoding settings that Compressor has.

Encore is very finicky about what types of MPEG2 files it considers DVD-legal. That's not surprising because it's built on the Sonic Authorcore, which is the same one that Scenarist uses (Encore's Authorcore is deliberately crippled to keep licensing costs down). Scenarist, by all reports, is the most finicky of all when it comes to accepting MPEG2 assets.

Perhaps exporting an MOV file from your NLE and importing that into Encore for Automatic Transcoding would work for you?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Frank Wylie
on Nov 17, 2009 at 10:15:42 pm

Yeah, I'd say its pretty darn finicky, because it even forces a re-encode from Adobe After Effects MPEG-2 Blu-ray rendered files.

Its almost criminal in Encore's inability to function in a straightforward, predictable manner.

Adobe should be ashamed, or sued.

Frank Wylie

"The camera is a base instrument; you must do violence to it..." Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 17, 2009 at 10:46:44 pm

[Frank Wylie] "Adobe should be ashamed, or sued."

Nah - fixing it is a selling point for Encore 3!

But seriously folks... does this result in a hit to video quality? I know it's a pita and quite time-consuming, but if it also results in lower quality, that would be a killer.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Nov 17, 2009 at 11:14:48 pm

I'm happy with Encore's transcoding. Others are not. Since En uses the MainConcept MPEG encoder (which is generally well-regarded), users that end up with poor-quality results may just have set things up wrong. Or they may be doing higher-end stuff that requires a higher-end encoder.

Start with a small test project and see if En can produce the quality you need. Start with Encore's Automatic settings. If it's not good enough, then see if you can tweak the Transcode Presets to settings similar enough to the ones you used in Compressor, and see if the quality improves.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 18, 2009 at 2:00:32 pm

I've been editing with Final Cut Pro and sending timelines to Compressor. When I get a chance, I'd like to try the route you suggest. I assume it necessitates making a Quicktime file of the timeline for export to Encore.

also: I have Encore for PC and Mac - either one superior?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Nov 18, 2009 at 2:31:59 pm

Yes. You'll need an intermediate file exported from FCP to use in En.

I've only used En CS3 on an 8-core Mac Pro running Tiger; I got to play with it on that platform for about a week. Worked as well as it does on Windows. Note: CS3 on Leopard (and Snow Leopard?) has button highlight issues. CS3 on any version of Windows doesn't.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 19, 2009 at 9:43:33 pm

[Jeff Bellune] "You'll need an intermediate file exported from FCP to use in En."

I tried this, and the visual results are fine, although I can't tell the difference between Encore's encoder and Compressor's.

I didn't clock it, but Encore seemed to take a lot longer. So this is something I may do for short pieces, but not for anything over two minutes.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Frank Wylie
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:21:39 pm

Yes, try it for a 4 title, 60 minute Blu-ray with animated menus.

Slow death and it usually bombs after a few hours...

Frank Wylie

"The camera is a base instrument; you must do violence to it..." Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
but not always
on Nov 20, 2009 at 3:54:56 pm

Today, just a couple days after Adobe Encore (PC) CS3 forced a transcode of a Compressor .m2v file, Encore did not force a transcode of another Compressor .m2v file with the identical settings as the first one.

Any clue as to why Encore sometimes, but not always, will force a transcode?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
Re: but not always
on Mar 1, 2011 at 5:01:25 pm

I know this is an old thread, but did you ever get an answer to this?

I am having the same problem...FCP timeline to Compressor births an .m2v program stream file. I made one disc this way and I didn't have to transcode the .m2v at all.

The next project I exported using the same workflow and Compressor settings, birthing, in theory, an identically made .m2v file. Now in Encore, it insists on transcoding it, and it takes literally 6 hours to do so before burning the disc.

Comparing the two workflows, I can't for the life of me remember any deviances to the settings. It's pretty straightforward, as much as I can remember. But now Encore wants to transcode every single file I export.

What's going on here?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Joseph

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.4
FCP 7.0.2
AE CS4
Quicktime Pro 7.6.4
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5
Blackmagic Intensity Pro