FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loop Point on Motion Menu

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lones
Loop Point on Motion Menu
on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:20:50 pm

Hi,

I am creating a proof of performance DVD for one of our sponsors, but am having an issue with setting my loop point at a particular time. When I create the motion menu, the loop point defaults to 1:17, two frames before my button animation is complete. My target loop point is 1:19 or 1:20, but any time I try to manually set the loop point, it just jumps back to 1:17. This happened when I tried to set it to any time between 1:19 and 1:27. When I tried to set it to 1:28, it jumped to 2:02. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on, or what I can do to fix it? Thanks!

Chris Lones
Director of Production
Great Lakes Loons

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Loop Point on Motion Menu
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:32:05 pm

Please confirm you are talking about setting a loop point at one second and 17 frames?

If so, apparently En can only loop the menu at I-frames, which is why you have a choice of 00;01;17 or 00;02;02. Notice they are 15 frames apart, which is the GOP length.

If you're using transcoded MPEG2 files for the menu background video, I don't know any way to circumvent this behavior. It's possible that using an untranscoded .avi or .mov file would let En force a GOP at the loop point, much like it does for chapter points when the the timeline video is untranscoded.

What is going on with the background video that 2 seconds and 2 frames won't work as a loop point? It's less than half a second beyond where your button animation stops.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:50:06 pm

FWIW, in Encore CS4, I can set the loop point anywhere I want when a transcoded MPEG2 file is used as the menu background, even outside of GOP boundaries.

I'm on Windows Vista 64-bit.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Chris Lones
on Oct 13, 2009 at 1:01:55 pm

Thanks for your insight, Jeff. This is my first time using MPG-2 video as my menu backgrounds. In the past, I've been using the same codec we typically use for our scoreboard computer, which wasn't giving me the best results. However, after a quick google of GOP, it all makes sense. I made some adjustments to the animation and it's working great now. Thanks again.

Chris Lones
Director of Production
Great Lakes Loons

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:22:03 pm

Glad you got a workable solution. :-)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>