FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore CS4 Blu Ray Navigation Problems

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Clemens
Encore CS4 Blu Ray Navigation Problems
on Sep 26, 2009 at 10:44:07 pm

I'm trying to build a Blu Ray project for our wedding videography company.

Some how I was able to get our very first Blu Ray to work without a hitch. Trying to do a different one now and am having nothing but problems.

I'm still used to using the methods back from like Encore 1.5, so some of the new stuff like Dynamic Link and Chapter Playlists I'm slowly learning.

Anyways, my main menu has 3 buttons, a Play All, a Scene Selection and a Special Features, all using Transitions to get to the next event.

In the past I would always build a play all, by setting the end action of each timeline (9 on this wedding) to the next timeline, then the end timeline back to the main menu. When I would have a Special Features menu, I would set an over-ride on the button to Play just that timeline itself. Yes, I know how over-rides work, and have been scolded for using them. So I tried to build a playlist for the play all and have it return to last menu as an end action. Each timeline now has an end action of it's corresponding button on the special features menu.

Now I've been running into crazy navigation problems. Everything works fine, except when I click the play all button. It will play everything like how it's supposed to, except at the end of the Playlist, it will go back to the main menu, and when you try to click on a different button the transition will play, but instead of going to that next menu, it goes back to the main menu.

I'm really baffled at what is going on. I do know that all of the issues stem from this Play All button, but just can't be sure how or why it's having issues. After 2 weeks of messing with this non-stop I need to ask for some help on here. I appreciate any help people can share for me.

Thanks...
Jason Clemens

Return to posts index

Larry Applegate
Re: Encore CS4 Blu Ray Navigation Problems
on Sep 30, 2009 at 6:29:41 am

Hi Jason,

I was waiting for someone else to answer this post, but since no one has, I'll give you my opinion. Encore is not usable for Blu-ray, unless you keep it very simple and avoid about 2/3 of its features. They just haven't bothered to program it properly for Blu-ray, but have apparently assumed that the commands are similar to DVD, which they are not. Many things just don't work for Blu-ray, even if they do for DVD. These bugs have been reported on this forum many times since Blu-ray support first came out in CS3, and most of them were not fixed in CS4.

To properly make the type of typical semi-professional DVD you are describing for Blu-ray, the least expensive option is NetBlender's DoStudio for the PC, list price $2995. This is true whether you are trying to replicate thousands of discs or just duplicate a few dozen.

Regards,

Larry Applegate
http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:02:50 pm

I really have to agree with Larry on this one. As far as Blu-ray Disc goes, I do an average of about 2 or 3 projects a month and have yet to find a way to confidently and consistently author a structure like you are trying to do. I am not saying it can't be done or that you shouldn't try, but you will fight and curse through the entire uphill battle. I normally do.

I use a mix of Encore CS4, Compressor 3, Sonic DVDitPro HD and Toast 10 Titanium Pro with BD plugins and it is still a battle anytime I try to get crafty, creative or complex with features. Until the format and tools to support BD-R become more standardized and mature, keeping things simple provides the best results.

A lot of this stems from the fact that BD-R is a very different format than it's BD-Rom (manufactured) counterpart. In the DVD world, although there are some minor differences between a DVD-R and a DVD5/9, the format and disc is essentially the same. This is not as much the case with Blu-ray Disc. Since the majority of the growth in the BD format has been from Hollywood, us folks that work on smaller scales are waiting for the same attention to the burnable counterpart of the format. Its starting to happen faster now, so don't give up yet! Better tools and better support are starting to roll out faster now, so the options are SLOWLY improving.

Of course, if you have lots of money and time to invest, you can do a lot more.

Best of luck!
Matt

http://www.mstproductions.com
(925) 380-1977

Return to posts index

Jason Clemens
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:35:38 pm

Larry/Matt,

Thanks for your guys input. I finally was able to solve my problems. I streamlined the process and did a straight forward disc without Playlists, overrides etc.

Over the years, I've gotten pretty good with Encore on DVD's and thought you could do much of the same. Jon Geddes was helping me through the process somewhat on the can do's/can't do's but I felt bad keeping bugging him about it.

Anyways, I did away with the Play All and now one button plays one timeline. And until I can become more advanced with it, this will have to do. It will keep my sanity at least for these weddings.

Thanks again for your input.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:59:50 pm

They are different formats but thats not the issue here. Encore is just a incomplete BD authoring tool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]