Playlists

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fatta Innoranti
Playlists
on Sep 7, 2009 at 10:38:05 pm

Hello,
Let me know if you can give me a clue for this situation:
I have a lot of small clips and I need to create an interactive DVD using Encore in which the user can choose from different playlists.
The thing is I need to combine the clips, for example I need to put together the first 5 seconds of the first clip, then the first 5 seconds from the 2nd clip and then the next 5 seconds from clip number 3, etc so when the user press play an specific button, those parts of those clips will play.
I also need to create a "next button" or "play again button" at the end of some of the clips so that allows the user to go forward or repeat the selected clip.
I will need a lot of playlists and chapters I guess.
I´m really new at this, I don´t expect you tell me how to do all of this (it will be great if you want to) just to know if it is possible to do something like this with Adobe Encore or should I try with a different software.
I will have lots of different combinations.
I will also have an item that allows the user choose a "random" selection. I definitely need to know if this is possible or if I have to give up.
Thanks a lot,

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Playlists
on Sep 8, 2009 at 1:23:37 am

All of that is certainly possible in Encore with the exception of the random selection. You could of course create your own "random" selection of clips, but it wouldn't truly be random, as it would play the chapters in the same order every time you pressed the random button. Of course, dvd players usually have the option to play chapters at random straight from the dvd remote, therefor you wouldn't really need to integrate that into the menu.

To do what you want, you will need to create chapter playlists. This is not possible with old versions of Encore, so be sure to have a newer version. Once you setup your chapter playlist (from the project window, just create new chapter playlist), then you will link your menu buttons to the playlists instead of the timelines.

As for the "Next" or "Play Again" buttons, you could just create a menu for that, and set the end action of the chapter playlist to go to that menu.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Fatta Innoranti
Re: Playlists
on Sep 8, 2009 at 3:35:35 pm

Thanks a lot, Jon for your help!
I will now study how to do it.
Fatta

Return to posts index

Fatta Innoranti
Re: Playlists and chapters
on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:43:30 pm

Is it possible to have a playlist which says "play only chapters 4 to 7" (out of 10 chapters).

For example: Can I play chapters 4 to 7 and then stop after 7, then go back to the menu where all the possible combinations of chapters are and for example press "play chapters 2-5-8-1" (out of 10 chapters) and stop after chapter 1, go back to the menu where all the combinations are, etc?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:05:26 pm

Absolutely. Once you create a chapter playlist for the first time, you will see all the things you can do with it.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Fatta Innoranti
on Sep 9, 2009 at 8:16:22 pm

Jon,
This an example of I need to be done:

1) Presentation with Main Menu
2) Sub-menu: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3 (There will be around 70 chapters)
3) If I open, for example chapter 1, I will have there around 7 other chapters (let´s call them sub-chapters)
4) If I open a sub-chapter I will have there several clips, some of them will be played alone as entire clips, and some of them will be played together, using the same clips but combined in ramdom ways.
Here´s the thing:

Some people say that I cannot do a playlist which says play chapters 1-6 (out of 10 chapters), because it's not possible to tell the program to STOP playing after chapter 6.

I believe that it is possible but I will need your certification that what I´m saying is correct.
What do you think?
Thanks a lot.
FI

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Sep 9, 2009 at 8:39:16 pm

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You will have a submenu for each "Chapter" (which you have around 70 of). In order to make this less confusing, lets now refer to them as "Segments". Each segment will then have several chapters of its own. Will you ever be needing to use a chapter playlist that pulls chapters from different segments? If not, it sounds like you should be creating a separate timeline for each segment, unless of course all the segments are suppose to run together without any pauses whatsoever.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Fatta Innoranti
on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:51:53 pm

Will you ever be needing to use a chapter playlist that pulls chapters from different segments?
YES

And the segments are not suppose to run together without any pauses whatsoever.

The user must be able to choose a segment and into that segment to choose a chapter and into that chapter choose from a list of clips that I had already decided to play together as a group or alone as single clips.
For example:
1) Clip 3
2) Clips 3-6-5
3) Clip 6
4) Clips 9-10-2-5
Etc
I will have a number of original videoclips and with that material I have to make all the connections to make it interactive for the user.
Can I do it that way, using the original material without having to make little editions?
Or maybe should I edit them on Premiere the way I want them, with the order I need?

And what about the problem that somebody told me that it won´t stop after chapter 5?

Thanks, Jon,
FI

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Sep 9, 2009 at 10:15:30 pm

With all the jumping around you are doing, it sounds like it would be more logical to have each clip as its own timeline. Then just create a regular playlist (not a chapter playlist) which will play the individual timelines as you desire. Unless you made a typo, you said that the clips will NOT be playing seamlessly all together. As in seamless, I mean in the middle of a scene, where you can't have a brief half second pause.

I have not used chapter playlists in a while, so I don't recall if Encore has that issue or not with the chapters continuing, but it sounds like something that could be remedied by having the last chapter of the chapter playlist be a chapter marker that is placed at the very end of the timeline.

By having each clip as its own timeline, you don't have to worry about the clip continuing, since there wont be any chapters, just timelines.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Fatta Innoranti
on Sep 9, 2009 at 10:32:12 pm

GREAT, Jon, thanks a lot.
FI

Return to posts index

Fatta Innoranti
on Sep 14, 2009 at 8:20:57 pm

Jon,
Is there a limit for Timelines, Playlists and Chapters?
And how do you export a demo of what you are doing to someone that want to see what you have done so far?
Thanks
Fatta Innoranti

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Sep 14, 2009 at 8:46:17 pm

Encore, like almost all other authoring applications, has a limit of 99 Chapters, 99 Timelines, etc. If you were using Scenarist you could circumvent this dvd spec limitation by splitting the menus/timelines over multiple VTS's on the disc. Also, all your menu content cannot exceed 1GB.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Fatta Innoranti
on Sep 14, 2009 at 8:50:42 pm

Jon,
Ok, and what about the exporting? How can export what I have done so far to send it to a person that needs to see it eventhough it is not finished?
FI

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Sep 14, 2009 at 9:08:27 pm

Not sure about that one. You can try building the project before it's complete. Just make sure none of the navigation is completely broken, leaving you stuck on a menu and having no way to get out of it.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Fatta Innoranti
on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:01:51 pm

Should I export it as a Flash file? Is that the best option?
FI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]