FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Media Encoder adding black bars to side of my footage

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Heidelberger
Adobe Media Encoder adding black bars to side of my footage
on Sep 2, 2009 at 8:51:18 am

Hello,

Hopefully this is the right forum for this. I'm trying to export a ProRes 720p Quicktime movie to a widescreen M2V for DVD authoring. The Quicktime is exactly 1280x720, square pixels. When I bring it into AME, set it to an Mpeg-2 preset, and set the pixel aspect ratio to Widescreen, 16:9, AME adds black bars to the sides of my footage. Even weirder, in the source preview tab, if I enable cropping, it seems like the bottom edge of the crop marquee is off the bottom edge of my footage. I wound up cropping 8 pixels from the top and 8 from the bottom and that seemed to get rid of the black bars on the sides, but what on earth is causing this? Why doesn't it stretch my video the full length of the 720 pixels? Also worth noting I tried with an Animation codec file and got the same result.

Thanks,
- David

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Adobe Media Encoder adding black bars to side of my footage
on Sep 2, 2009 at 10:52:05 am

Are the black bars thin? If so, then you are experiencing Adobe's correction to non-square pixel aspect ratios that they implemented in CS4.

The PAR change is based on the BBC standard, and it is implemented across the entire suite of video applications.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Tam Perl
on Dec 21, 2009 at 3:07:55 am

Jeff -- I noted your comment about non square pixels -- so what is the fix for this?

I have exported from Premiere to a size of 1280x720 with square pixels. As far as I can tell, Encore is recognizing this size and pixel aspect ratio. Visually, the picture seems correct -- in other words it is not being stretched or compressed, although I have not measured it scientifically with a square box.

How do I create a DVD without those black bars??

Thanks

Tam

Return to posts index

Murphy Thelen
on Jun 13, 2016 at 2:29:27 pm

This worked for me too. Thanks for posting!

Return to posts index

Brian Berneker
on Mar 4, 2013 at 12:46:02 am

I looked high and low and read many a blog post on many forums about pixel aspect ratios and other rationalizations for the existence of these pesky black pillarbox bars, but most have not a clue about how to get around this cleanly or easily, so here's the answer:

In the output preview box of Adobe Media Encoder, in the top left corner, there is a source scale setting. Set this to "scale to fill" and you're done.

There you have it. No lectures or excuses, just a 3 second how-to. Enjoy!

Return to posts index

Joe Lacy
on Aug 30, 2013 at 6:19:36 pm

That would be a great fix if that option wasn't grayed out...

Return to posts index

Robert Grimm Jr
on Oct 19, 2016 at 2:20:13 am

I have also looked high and low, and your answer saved the day! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]