FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codecs don't work in Encore CS4

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian E.W. McNulty
Codecs don't work in Encore CS4
on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:05:18 pm

I've been working with Encore for awhile now and have figured out the little nuances it has to offer but still can't get my DVD to play universally on anyone's computer in my office. It says I don't have the right codec's installed. Of course it plays fine on my machine...but mine is a multimedia system with everything on it updated.

I create my movies in Premiere Pro and have saved them as the following:

1. .AVI w/ no compression
2. .MOV
3. .MPEG2-DVD which is the one everyone suggests using...

Could anyone let me know what I'm possibly doing wrong to allow others to see my DVD project? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Codecs don't work in Encore CS4
on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:35:45 pm

It's not your fault, nor can you fix it from your end.

MPEG2 licensing, the bane to the video editor and DVD author, is the culprit here. A computer can only play back DVDs if a purchased software DVD player is installed, or some other purchased MPEG2 decoder is available to the system so generic media players can access it.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:46:18 pm

Ok, so then do I just create my movies as Quicktime and then transcode inside of Encore? It didn't work that way, but most people have Quicktime or some type of codec that allows them to view a movie from a DVD...what do the Hollywood movies use so that we can all see it on our computers?

That figures about the MPG2 codec! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:51:52 pm

That's the problem. *All* DVDs are encoded as MPEG2, even Hollywood DVDs, no matter what codec you start with.

If Hollywood DVDs play on the other computers, then something else is going on and you'll need to provide more details about your project and about the computers that won't play *your* DVDs.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:09:54 pm

Well, everyone seems to be able to play the Hollywood-type movies on their systems. I just don't see where I'm creating the movies any differently. I transcode them before building the project and no errors occur. The DVD obviously works fine on the DVD for television just not everyone's system. Is this a rare thing? I also took the files from Lynda.com and tried them in my project and it worked fine...what in the world could I be doing wrong when encoding them?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:14:21 pm

[Brian E.W. McNulty] "I also took the files from Lynda.com and tried them in my project and it worked fine."

So if you burn a DVD using the Lynda.com files, that DVD plays on everyone's computer?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:21:37 pm

Yes, they seem to work making me think that I'm totally doing something wrong...obviously. What did they do differently...I went thru the whole tutorial and did what he said to do, but still can't get the thing to work correctly...is there a setting that you always use that is a fail-safe? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:34:28 pm

Here's what I recommend:

1. Only use high-quality blank media like that from Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

2. Never encode above a 7 Mbps bit rate unless you have both high-quality media and a fully firmware-updated, quality DVD burner.

3. Never burn at a speed faster than one-half the rated speed of the media or the burner, whichever is lower.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:42:32 pm

Ok, I'll definitely do that, but what about the actual file you are creating...do you use MPG2-DVD, .mov, .avi, etc? I believe that's where it's getting me every time.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:22:42 pm

[Brian E.W. McNulty] "what about the actual file you are creating...do you use MPG2-DVD, .mov, .avi, etc? I believe that's where it's getting me every time."

It doesn't matter. AVI and MOV files will be transcoded to MPEG2 before they are burned to disc. DVD-legal MPEG2 files will be burned to disc without transcoding.

What kind of files (AVI, MOV) were the Lynda files? What codec was used in those files (DV, uncompressed, DivX, Animation, MJPEG, etc.)?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:30:27 pm

That's what's so weird about it...they were .mov's and a .mp4. The compression must be where I am losing it. Doesn't make sense. They don't say what compression should be used I believe. I'm rechecking but I'm pretty sure they just said to use a .mov, MPEG2-DVD or .avi uncompressed. I wasn't trying to use DivX or anything like that.

Return to posts index

george vayagvag
on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:10:42 am

Adobe has gotten so strict about converting files that it really went overboard and now the the appplication is all screwed up. I will just have to return my software and hopefully get the latest version with all this very disappointing issues solved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]