FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deinterlace to Progressive using Encore's Progressive Preset

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Poindexter
Deinterlace to Progressive using Encore's Progressive Preset
on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:43:20 pm

Hi there,

I am a wedding videographer. I have been happy editing my (interlaced) footage in Pinnacle Studio 12. I ouput to AVI (interlaced). Then I put together my project in Encore Automatic Transcode settings (2 hours of footage) with good results.
But, all the sudden I am getting complaints that my videos are blurry. I don't think that it is my video - it is these new HDTVs, LCD, Plasma, etc. My video looks good on an SD tv.
These TVs are trying to convert into HD quality right (in laymen's terms)? And doing a lousy job. They could adjust some settings on their tv - but I wonder if I could do something better on my end.
What if I doing the Progressive Preset on Encore? Will that help convert the interlaced footage? Or is interlaced footage going to be a problem no matter what I do (which I have read)?
I would rather not invest in more software. Although I do have Premiere pro.
Any ideas?
I am going to purchase a new camcorder that records progressive. Can I switch back to Automatic settings if I do this (i.e. will Encore recognize it as Progressive and keep it?)

I have read related threads - but no one has asked about the encore progressive preset.
Thanks for your help!!!
Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Folorunsho
Re: Deinterlace to Progressive using Encore's Progressive Preset
on Sep 1, 2009 at 10:06:02 am

Hi Michael,

Since nobody else responded to you, here's my opinion based on my limited technical knowledge on how SD video should look on LCD/Plasmas...

Based on my experience on watching normal SD DVDs on HD LCD TVs, I'd suggest that you always take your video to Encore in an either PROGRESSIVE or DE-INTERLACED format, NOT INTERLACED. Then when you burn your disc, don't burn as a progressive DVD, just burn as a regular DVD. My DVDs look great on LCDs when I follow this workflow.

Let me know if this helps.

Mike

Michael Folorunsho
Clicktone Media
http://www.youtube.com/clicktonemedia

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 1, 2009 at 2:08:52 pm

Mike's advice is OK if the video content doesn't involve high-speed motion. For a wedding videographer this usually isn't a problem.

If the video content does include significant motion, then encoding the video as interlaced produces much smoother motion than does encoding it as progressive.

I've tested this scenario on CRT TVs with DVD players connected via composite or S-Video, on HDTVs with upscaling progressive-scan DVD players connected via HDMI, and on HDTVs with progressive-scan DVD players connected via the component outputs.

One further note: If you're going to shoot progressive, and then stay progressive all the way through MPEG2 DVD encoding, then I recommend shooting in 24p instead of 30p. It looks better and more filmic right off the card that way.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Michael Dexter
on Sep 1, 2009 at 2:09:57 pm

Thanks Mike!
Does anyone suggest a good way to deinterlace? I heard Premiere Pro isn't that great. What about Sorenson Squeeze??

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 1, 2009 at 2:19:40 pm

Squeeze 5's deinterlacing is much improved over 4. However, it's not as good as what's available in the open-source world.

If you go to the the Premiere Pro Adobe User-to-User forum and search on "hd2sd", you'll find several threads about Dan Isaac's AviSynth scripts that will produce scaled and deinterlaced output that far exceeds Adobe's and Sorenson's in quality.

It's not a one-button, click here solution, but once you get it working you'll be addicted to the quality. In a few weeks, I plan to have a in-depth tutorial on how to find, install and use the necessary open-source tools and hd2sd. I just posted a link in the Adobe forums to my tutorial on how to get the best results when scaling HD to SD using only Pr CS4. Again, like Squeeze, CS4's results aren't as good as what you can get from hd2sd.

I use Squeeze 5 to encode the hd2sd output to MPEG2 DVD.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]