FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray data levels - 24 gig ?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Flaxton
Blu-ray data levels - 24 gig ?
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:21:33 pm

I have a lacie blu-ray burner and from my experience on dvd studio pro, you can get near the project level of data on the disc - however, every time I burn blu-ray I can't be sure how much to trust encores project build measurements - I'm now guessing that 24 gig of data is actually 25 gigs-worth of disc. If I go to 25 gig - it transcodes for hours then at the end says there's too much data - what's the optimum level of data for a 35 gig disc?

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

Larry Applegate
Re: Blu-ray data levels - 24 gig ?
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:46:38 pm

The problem is marketing gigabytes (decimal) vs. actual gigabytes (binary). Here is an explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

A Blu-ray disc will hold 25 decimal gigabytes per layer, or about 23.84 gigabytes.

Regards,

Larry Applegate
http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com

Return to posts index

Terry Flaxton
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:53:55 pm

Thanks - I knew there was something going on - I'll now load to 23.5 for safety.

I notice that any slow mo becomes very stuttery - is this the long-gop mpeg 4 problem ? Is there a solution ?

Thanks again

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

Terry Flaxton
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:57:19 pm

....and also whilst I have your attention:

sometimes Encore gets almost to the end of a long blu-ray transcode and just quits. All the transcoding has been done (hours) - but when I re-open the project it starts transcoding all over again. In DVD studio Pro you can tell it to find the transcodes - so how do you do that with encore - is is it too plain dumb? Or would toast pick up the transcodes and burn there ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]