FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with menu

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve edwards
Trouble with menu
on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:21:05 am

I have a wedding video I am authoring in Encore, and I seem to be having some problems with the Scene Selection menu that I made from scratch. This is the way the dvd is set up:
Main Menu: Ceremony button
Reception button
Scene Selection Menu: Reception Entrance button
Toasts button
Vows button
Dances button

In the main menu, once ceremony ends, back to main menu (good)
" reception ends, back to main menu (good)
In SS menu, once reception chapter ends, back to ss menu (good)
" toasts chapter ends, back to ss menu (good)
" vows chapter ends, back to MAIN MENU (BAD)
" dances chapter ends, back to ss menu (good), but I would like all the dances to play before it goes back to menu.

All of the end actions are the same in the ss menu (shows Main Menu), I set them to ss menu, and it somehow changed them to main menu, but 3 of the four end actions goes back to ss menu, even though the end action show that it should go to the main menu. If I change any of the end actions to ss in the ss menu, it changes one of my end actions in the "main menu" to SS

Here is a youtube link to the flow chart in Encore:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w10yHGoNLs

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Trouble with menu
on Aug 20, 2009 at 11:15:12 am

1. Did you mean for the Vows button to link to a different timeline than the other Scene Selection buttons?

2. Do you have any Overrides set anywhere in the project?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

steve edwards
on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:28:57 pm

Yes, the "vows button" should link to the "ceremony" timeline, and the other 3 buttons should link to the "reception" timeline. In the ss menu I want it to play the vows (which is the end of the video), then go back to the ss menu. There is only one chapter marker set in the ceremony timeline, and that is where the vows begin. In the main menu,when playing the ceremony, I can scene select to the vows, and when they are done it goes right back to the main menu like I want. Don't know why it won't in ss menu.
I don't have any overrides set.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 20, 2009 at 3:41:09 pm

[steve edwards] "All of the end actions are the same in the ss menu (shows Main Menu), I set them to ss menu, and it somehow changed them to main menu, but 3 of the four end actions goes back to ss menu, even though the end action show that it should go to the main menu. If I change any of the end actions to ss in the ss menu, it changes one of my end actions in the "main menu" to SS"

I'm a little confused by this statement. Timelines have end actions, whole menus have end actions, but menu buttons have links. And unless you have multiple buttons selected, changing one button's link won't affect the other buttons.

The good news is all of that may be irrelevant. See how this works for you:

1. Leave the Main Menu the way it is.
2. Leave the Timeline end actions the way they are.
3. Create a Chapter Playlist for each individual chapter that you want on the Scene Select menu.
4. Link each button on the SS menu to its corresponding Chapter Playlist.
5. Set the End Action of each Chapter Playlist to return to the SS menu.

Burn an RW disc and test it on both hardware and software DVD players. Let us know how it turns out.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

steve edwards
on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:52:56 am

Jeff,
Thanks for the help. That idea with the playlists for the scene selection menu helped. Now for some reason I have another problem. After I did the playlists all was fine. I added music to both menus, and re-rendered the ceremony video, because I added some music to the begining of the video. Anyway, now when I play the reception video from the main menu, it is supposed to play all of video and return to main menu. For some reason, now it ends and goes to scene selection menu, evem though the end action is set to go to main menu. When I do a build check only one thing comes up, and it says "End action will not execute because of end action on the final chapter point". Not sure what this means, but all looks as it is suppose to.

Steve

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 26, 2009 at 10:47:54 am

The message means that you set an end action for the last chapter marker. That prevents the end action of the timeline from executing.

Delete the end action for the last chapter marker.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

steve edwards
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:43:50 pm

That took care of that problem, and now created another one. Remember that all of the items on main menu were originally fine. Now if I play the reception video from the main menu, it plays the bridal party entrance then goes to the scene selection menu, instead of playing all of the reception video and going back to the main menu. I am so sorry to come to you with all these problems, and I can't understand why this is happening when everything seems to keep changing with every slight change in the menu setup.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:16:37 pm

I believe that you've put end actions on the Chapter Markers themselves. That's either in addition to or instead of end actions on the Chapter Playlists.

Remove the end actions from the Chapter Markers, link each scene selection menu button to the appropriate Chapter Playlist and you should be good to go.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

steve edwards
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:34:09 pm

I haven't tried removing them yet, but yes you're right. Before you suggested using the playlist route, I had already put end actions on the chapter markers. But by removing them, am I going to somehow mess up the scene selection menu, seeing that it is working properly now?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:40:07 pm

All you have to do is link the scene selection menu buttons to the chapter playlists instead of the chapters themselves. Set the end action of the chapter playlists to go back to the scene selection menu.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

steve edwards
on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:48:02 am

Jeff,
Looks like that may have taken care of it. I have played the main menu items, and they seem to be alright now. It's almost 1am, so I will check everything on the ss menu later this morn. Thanks again for everything.

Steve

Return to posts index

Doug Helsby
Re: Trouble with navigation
on Nov 29, 2009 at 11:08:46 am

I am new to Encore. I understand the basics of the flowchart but I am having difficulty returning to menu after playing a chapter. I am using an encore template to practice on. I have main menu with link to sub menu containing the chapters. At the end of each chapter I want to return to sub menu in order to choose another chapter. I cannot get this and all that happens is the timelime carries on to the end where it returns to the sub menu.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Nov 29, 2009 at 3:26:41 pm

Hi Doug,

One way to accomplish this is to set the end action of each chapter to link back to the sub-menu. Then for a Play All function, you would create a Chapter Playlist that contains all of the chapters. Make sure to delete all current end actions, button links and overrides before setting up the new navigation. And don't set any overrides at all after that.

The disadvantage to this method is that there will be a slight pause between chapters in the Play All chapter playlist. If there is no break like a fade to black between those chapters, then the pause will be distracting to the audience.

Let us know how that works out for you.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Doug Helsby
on Dec 1, 2009 at 2:53:07 pm

Jeff

I have tried what you have suggested and it works.
I had not really appreciated chapter list, as the tutorial I am following, gives it only a passing explanation and not really enough on how it fits into the whole construct of a video. As a newbie to Encore it would be nice if someone produced a video that would enable one to start with a simple video with a couple of menus to the completion of the dvd in Encore. There is too much extra information to start off with, which can cloud the issue. Once the basics are sorted out the the more advanced aspects can be tackled.
Thanks for the advice I am sure I will be back!!!
Doug

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 1, 2009 at 7:13:04 pm

You're welcome. :-)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]