FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad Quality Blu Ray Picture

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rasmus Jandersen
Bad Quality Blu Ray Picture
on Aug 14, 2009 at 9:42:02 pm

I followed the procedure from Adobe's website on how to make a Blu Ray file for Encore to use without
Encore re-transcoding it. That results in my using an MPEG2 Elementary Stream (along with the audio file) to make my Blu Ray disc's. The picture looks pretty good but I've noticed, upon close examination, that the picture is actually composed entirely of small square blocks or cells. Blu Ray movies from Hollywood don't look like that so why does Encore produce one like that.

Here is some relevant information: The footage my camcorder takes is HDV 1440X1080i - perhaps the cells are a result of Encore stretching 1440 pixels to fit on a 1920 TV screen (which is what I view the Blu Ray's on)

When I start a new Encore Blu-Ray project I always select 1440 by 1080 - to match my camera. Should I choose 1920 by 1080 instead?

Is it possibly because I have Compressor spit out an MPEG2 instead of an MPEG4? I would have it spit out an MPEG4 if it were an option.

I can't think of anything else that would cause it to have cells.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Bad Quality Blu Ray Picture
on Aug 15, 2009 at 9:19:36 pm

Hard to say without seeing the picture. What were your bitrates?

Also its important to note that Compressor is somewhat of a "play toy" compared to the encoders used in Studio BD titles. In addition, HDV is a highly compressed HD codec compared to the very high resolution sources used in Hollywood.

Try some experimenting with different bitrates and AVC to see if it helps.

Return to posts index

Rasmus Jandersen
Re: Bad Quality Blu Ray Picture
on Aug 17, 2009 at 5:37:48 am

I actually used Compressor version 3.0.5 (the last one). I see Apple's come out with a new Final Cut
Studio in which Compressor does give you the option for MPEG4 H.264 for Blu Ray.

What I've been using is the MPEG2. In the "Video Format" tab I've been using "HD 1440 by 1080" to match my HDV camcorder but there's an option for "HD 1920 by 1080".

In the "Quality"tab "Average Bit Rate" is set to 15 Mbps and "Maximum Bit Rate" is set to 20 Mbps.

Furthermore, in Encore when setting up a new project, "Maximum Audio/Video Bit Rate" is set to 20 Mbps
under the "Automatic Transcoding" section under the "Transcoding" Section of the "Advanced" tab.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]